I was just curious on what everyone does post workout to enhance recovery besides diet.
Personally I ice my shoulder girdle for 15-20 minutes directly after my warm down routine after a particularly punishing workout. This seems to drastically reduce DOM's the next day (and helps me sleep as well), compared to when I forget to ice. If something in particular is bugging me/is stiff before I go to my workout I heat it for 10-15 minutes before I leave for the gym, this helps loosen me up a bit and the soreness diminishes considerably.
If my hands are particularly beat up I use contrasting hot and cold baths. I basically put a bunch of ice and water into one 5 gallon bucket and use hot tap water (as hot as my faucet will get) in the other bucket. I then stick my hands into the cold bath, roll my wrists, and crack my knuckles for 20-30 seconds and then switch to the hot bath. I keep going until both buckets reach the same temperature. This really seems to help my hands recover exponentially faster than if I do nothing at all.
Does anyone else have any experience or suggestions with heat/cold therapy techniques for pre or post workout?
-Ricky