This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Some questions about H1

Started by Norbert Marko, July 9, 2013 · 7 Replies · 274 Views

Norbert Marko

Hi guys!

While doing my training, some specific questions came up regarding to some elements, I hope you have some answers to these below :)

1. FKP/PE1 - so I can't for the life of me bend those first knuckles, it only bends a little and if I push it a little harder, out of it's absolute confort zone it starts to crack. Isn't it unhealty? I was told as a kid not to crack my knuckles because it will be shaking when I'll become old. any toughts on this?

2. HS/PE1 > iM - what is exactly the goal here besides flexion? I mean how far my hands should be? with what width ( :D my tongue ) should I start and what is the mastery here?

Thanks in advance!



 

SuperBru

"I was told as a kid not to crack my knuckles because it will be shaking when I'll become old." This is merely a theory not fact. I currently can only bend my fingers at 80 degrees. Hopefully Coach can direct us in terms of finger mobility exercises. 

SuperBru

As for HS/PE1>iM if you are unable to perform the ROM as demonstrated by Allan start with a wider grip and progressively work up to a shoulder width grip.

Alessandro Mainente

1. i've broken all my 4 fingers of right hand. now the pop, crack and some other good sounds :-). but no problems if you don't feel pain.

 

2. the idea of shoulders flexion is let to the traps to work. imagine that you have to do a front raise with straight arms with dumbell, in the first 90° the major activation is in the rotator cuff. as you pass over the 90° the trap is more involved. probably here you can lift also 10 kg for each arms but the traps are in a point where, if you pass behind the head, the weight will come down due to gravity force and they stop to work.

the idea of move the upper body forward is shift the headline position more forward. in this case when you pass behind the head your are not vertical (in a neutral stack position) but inclined forward. this position has a little horizontal component (talking about the weight) that depends by the degree of  forward inclination , this horizontal component lets the exercise to be more difficult. as you think in therm of sin and cos of the degree of your inclination you can see that as much you move forward as the distance from headline and vertical position increases. in this way the traps are working everytime during the movement. with forward inclination the weighted bar is always under the force force gravity and if you use your traps to pull the weighted bar behind the back you will reach the goal of the exercise. traps work to open the shoulders against force of gravity.

the idea is build up strength for advanced mobility exercises. if you can't pull the weighted bar with less inclination (that mean low cos(x) component) how do you think to be able to pull it from lying position? (when the cos(x) is max and the traps are on fire?

  ;)  ;)  ;)

work to decrease hands distance . 10-15 cm more  in respect shoulders distance with at least 7-8 kg bar, is think is good.

Norbert Marko

thank you for your answers!

@alex87 this was a very nice and eye-opening explanation, thank you for this! The sin cos explanation was a bullseye, since you were telling that to an electrical engineer undergrad :D it was very nice :)

 

Alessandro Mainente

ahahahah Norbert you are welcome, my father is a physic teacher at the university, i have a specialist graduation in physics-bio molecolar biotechnology, my brother is an electrical engineer....i see physic everywhere!

LateStarter@46
Norbert Marko said:

1. FKP/PE1 - so I can't for the life of me bend those first knuckles, it only bends a little and if I push it a little harder, out of it's absolute confort zone it starts to crack. Isn't it unhealty? I was told as a kid not to crack my knuckles because it will be shaking when I'll become old. any toughts on this?

 

Just hold the (uncomfortable, not painful) stretch for 30s at a time - your range of movement WILL improve.

See: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/gallery/album/45-latestarter46-progress/  . I thought it was an impossible movement to achieve, but I am getting there.

Norbert Marko
LateStarter@46 said:

Just hold the (uncomfortable, not painful) stretch for 30s at a time - your range of movement WILL improve.

See: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/gallery/album/45-latestarter46-progress/  . I thought it was an impossible movement to achieve, but I am getting there.

very nice progress :) I wish I could do that with my first knuckles. It is sometimes encouraging (and at the same time discouraging :D ) to see adults who are a little bit older (note, not old just older) than me doing much more than I. It always earns my respect and gives me inspiration more than anything :)