I have been doing body weight exercises for about 15 months with some breaks. I had to take two breaks of about 2 months each due to first a wrist injury, and several months later a torn chest muscle. Anyways, I have been working out without interruption for 3-4 monthhs now. I do handstands each week, and can when rested do a 90 second static hold. I have been able to do that length of hold for quite a while but can not seem to get any better. I am also doing partial HS push ups with my back to the wall (as of several month ago I was able to go with my head to the floor but lost that ability after an injury induced break). I know there seems to be a preference for back away from the wall here, but I feel more comfortable with the former, and am just doing this for fitness. Admitedly my HS voume has been low--like about 6-8 mins./ wee. As seen below correcting that will be part of my proposed solution.
I shall begin with a bit of an aside to explain my thoughts on improving my HS strength: I also do pull ups and was experiencing the same problem--a plateau at about 8-9 pullups. So I did a google seach and came up with a program found here:
http://physicalliving.com/how-to-rapidly-increase-your-pullup-numbers-in-3-months-or-less/
I have been doing this program for about 2 weeks now--on day 11 I was able to do 12 pull ups with good strict form--no partials.
And I felt like I could have done a couple more, but you are not supposed to push yourself during the first month. So, this program is working for me so far. Basically it consists of doing lots of volume on a daily basis (1--2 days off/week) at no more than 60% of max reps in any given set. I started at 36 pull ups on day one, and am now up to 60 pull ups a day, and will hit around 100/day by the end of the first month. In month two and three intensity is ramped up with pyramids, etc., but done only twice weeekly.
BTW, here is an excellent video by the same trainer on pull up technique which helped a lot--I feel half of my gains came from improvements in my form.
So, the other day I wondered if the same thing might help with handstands, and other basic body weight movements like push up, and dip variations as well. So my plan is as follows: After I have completed month one of the pullup program, and am only doing pull ups twice a week I will start doing HS holds daily at a max of 60% of my maximum holt time of 90 secs--but generally less like maybe 30 secs or so, at least initially. As with the pull up program I will increase volume daily (beginning with around 3 minutes/day and increasing to maybe 10 mins. /day by the end of month one), and take a couple days a week off. Once I have finished month one, if the results are showing, I will move on to a similar approach for HS as with the pull ups done in month two. At the same time I might start with another body weight movement--either dips or pushups and start doing the month one approach for that. My idea is to adapt this program for HS, pushups, and dips variations (perhaps dictated by stagnating progress in that movement) beginning the month one approach for each in a staggered fashion as described above so that I am not doing the daily high volume approach for more than one exercise at a time. At the same time I will be continuing with my regular 3 workouts/week excluding whichever exercise I am doing high daily volume on at the time. I would like to have some input on this approach. My goals are for general fitness, with an emphasis on increasing functional strength rather than mass gains. In my current workouts I am also doing some staic holds as follows: v-sit, and front lever progression (can do a front lever tuck with quads at 90 degrees to torso easily) and always warm up with the six basic static holds for 60 secs i.e. plank, reverse plank, etc. I plan to add other isometric type exercises over time.
One last thing--I do own some weights and a bench, but would probably prefer to move over to body weight work exclusively. My house is small, and I don't have much room for the weight gear at this point. So I am considering to sell my weights and do just bodyweight exercises. Any downside to that? If I did sell that stuff my remaining set up would be as follows: Rings, Pull up bar, stall bars, and a dip station. I would also consider investing in a weight vest at some point. Sorry for such a lengthy post, and thanks for any help in advance.
___________________________________________________________________________________
** One other thing I wonder about a bit--11 years ago I suffered a 3rd degree ac shoulder separation. It does not bother me almost at all now--I do have the tell tale lump on my left shooulder. I weigh 155 lbs. and as of last effort was able to lift 120 lbs. overhead in military press--this after doing no weights for more than a year. Such loads, and HS, push ups and dips do not cuase pain, but I wonder if the injury could be hampering my progress?