This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Increasing Volume of Times Sets without Increasing Set Length

Started by Sven Ravnstag, July 8, 2013 · 5 Replies · 143 Views

Sven Ravnstag

I've been staying at 5X12sec for planche leans for some time now because I feel like I can always go a bit further.  I've gone up to 18sec on a couple of occasions, but I find that I'm hanging back on the lean in order to last the 18sec.  

 

I've been thinking about increasing the number of sets I perform to allow for an increased TUT while still being able to focus on form with the short holds.  I was considering the same thing for ABH as well.  This would also allow me to load/deload on the 4 Week Cycle instead of keeping a static volume for 3 weeks and then only changing it during the 50% deload.  Any thoughts?

 
FredInChina

That's an interesting take on this Steve Sisk; I am curious to hear what the GB coaches have to say about your idea.

Until now, the line was more or less to increase the times/reps to mastery using the current ROM, then increase the ROM and start a new cycle of progressions afresh. (that's what the instructions for the H1 iM are) :)

Jon Douglas

Sounds good to me. Obviously if you need to bridge the gap you need to change something :)

Joshua Naterman

I'm not an official GB coach, but my approach to this is to continue increasing the amount of lean little by little with the same ~10-15s sets I normally do. When I get to the point where I can do this lean with my ASIS over part of my hands I will then work on longer holds.

 

I have found building up to 30 seconds in easier positions to be less productive than increasing the lean very slightly when I realize that the 10-15 second mark is just not a huge challenge. Planche is primarily a feat of strength, and I believe that it should be approached as such.

 

You can spend a long time on planche leans, but then most everything afterwards should fly by much more rapidly.

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks guys.  Fred, that's what I've been doing for H1, for example with HS/PE4.  At this point for me this movement is less to do with skill than mobility and strength, so it makes sense to me to work up the time given my current limitations while also working on the mobility deficits that are limiting me.

 

With planche leans, though, I find that I'm continually getting better with what I can do at 12sec, and that that duration happens to be the perfect amount of time to find my limit, press it a bit, then hold for a second or two without losing form.  Going to 18sec seems to either have me losing my form towards the end or, even worse, not leaning forward as far as possible because I know I need to be conservative in order to make time.  

 

At the same time, I'm starting to feel a little lazy only doing five sets of what has become a very maintainable 12sec; it's a good sort of challenge and I thought more time enduring it might produce more results.

Jon Douglas
Steve Sisk said:

Thanks guys.  Fred, that's what I've been doing for H1, for example with HS/PE4.  At this point for me this movement is less to do with skill than mobility and strength, so it makes sense to me to work up the time given my current limitations while also working on the mobility deficits that are limiting me.

 

With planche leans, though, I find that I'm continually getting better with what I can do at 12sec, and that that duration happens to be the perfect amount of time to find my limit, press it a bit, then hold for a second or two without losing form.  Going to 18sec seems to either have me losing my form towards the end or, even worse, not leaning forward as far as possible because I know I need to be conservative in order to make time.  

 

At the same time, I'm starting to feel a little lazy only doing five sets of what has become a very maintainable 12sec; it's a good sort of challenge and I thought more time enduring it might produce more results.

Why not spend a week shooting for a solid 15 seconds? If the jump is a bit too much, splitting it in half seems appropriate and has worked for me.