Confused about routines (still rings final)

Started by Guest, July 5, 2013 · 2 Replies · 2,270 Views

Guest

I recently watched the 2013 European still rings final. The winner of this competition turned out to be Samir AIT SAID. The thing that confuses me is that Lambertus van Gelder routine seems much harder, but was ranked 7 out of 8 (a big step on the landing, but that shouldn't be too much of a deduction?)

Why is this? 

video can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FR96qArRSI

Samirs routine is at 3:02:20

Van Gelders is at 2:48:40

Even if Samirs routine was better, isn't Van Gelder able to perform Samirs routine as well? And why didn't Van Gelder do a cross press to inverted cross (which I've seen him do before)?

Many questions at once, but I'm a bit confused about how routines are constructed and rewarded...

Daniel Burnham

Best thing is to just read the code of points. Sometimes easier routines score higher because of less deduction. This is where strategy becomes important.

Blairbob

 Without getting some scratch paper and the FIG COP (my judging is pretty darn rusty now that it's been 3 years since I took the course nearly) I would have taken more errors in Van Gelder's routine, especially his swing work though one of his malts was a tad low (but hard t say if they gave a deduction for it). I'd have to look to write down the skill values and calculate them which I'm just not gonna do ATM.

 

 Samir's routine was very clean.