This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

retraction mobility- reverse plank scap shruggs or row shruggs?

Started by Keilani Gutierrez, July 4, 2013 · 5 Replies · 290 Views

Keilani Gutierrez

as the title implies. i want to work on my retraction mobility. 

can row shruggs be used? I know at one point and i should just mention it now, im going to be wanting to do pullup shruggs and dip shruggs as well or anythin similar that would work on scap mobilization in sync with scap shruggs, if beneficial.

Bipocni

Really if you're moving your scapula through a full range of motion with all your exercises, it shouldn't be too much of a problem for you.  I really love the feeling of starting a row with my scapula.

 

Working depression in a pullup is a good warmup, you can throw a handful in before you start each set of pullups if you want.

 

Dip shrugs are good if you can't do an L sit with your palms flat on the floor, but if you can you should already have enough depression strength.

 

My weak point at the moment is shrugging overhead.  I've made a point to shrug and activate my traps when I do handstand wall runs, and it was a truly humbling experience.  It makes them at least twice as hard, but that could be because I'm basically doing a one arm full bodyweight overhead shrug every rep.....

 

EDIT: I should probably spell it out for casual / less informed readers.  You need to be moving your scapula in every direction.  I can't really explain well, because these things are really confusing.  For example, you would think row shrugs would balance out plank shrugs, but I think? they both work the same muscles in the same way.  I read that somewhere when I was on a fruitless quest to understand how shoulders work.....

Joshua Naterman

Table rocks. FL iM3, I believe.

 

Just start with your hands and feet a little closer together than normal so that this becomes a leaning table, if you know what I mean.

Keilani Gutierrez

perfect then. I'll leave that in the queue till im ready for it(currently in PE1 for FL)

 

part of this was a re-vamping to my warm up, I wanted to incorporate crab walks or AG Walks(reverse plank, moving in the direction my feet point in) but i noticed that my current mobility is not allowing me to perform them. 

 

I can insert Scap Rows in my warm up(10 reps for 3 sets). 

 

ultimately, could I do a small Scap Row segment after my F1 WOD with the 15rep mastery template(or would this be counter-productive? I'm fairly certain this last bit might be over kill, since we work on horizontal retraction so much during the row segment of RC progressions and i'm gonna be leaving RC/PE1-3 in my warm ups once mastered. 

Joshua Naterman
KeilaniG said:

perfect then. I'll leave that in the queue till im ready for it(currently in PE1 for FL)

 

part of this was a re-vamping to my warm up, I wanted to incorporate crab walks or AG Walks(reverse plank, moving in the direction my feet point in) but i noticed that my current mobility is not allowing me to perform them. 

 

I can insert Scap Rows in my warm up(10 reps for 3 sets). 

 

ultimately, could I do a small Scap Row segment after my F1 WOD with the 15rep mastery template(or would this be counter-productive? I'm fairly certain this last bit might be over kill, since we work on horizontal retraction so much during the row segment of RC progressions and i'm gonna be leaving RC/PE1-3 in my warm ups once mastered. 

You should find out. I can't tell you what your body will respond to :)

Keilani Gutierrez
Joshua Naterman said:

You should find out. I can't tell you what your body will respond to :)

noted. I'll run a small experiment and see where it takes me. I could use the mobility.