This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Josh's probation?

Started by Cole Dano, July 4, 2013 · 27 Replies · 108 Views

Cole Dano

Do we have a timeline on when Josh's probation will be lifted?

Coach Sommer

I never considered Josh to be on probation.  His thinking had clearly moved on to a different direction.

Cole Dano

Referring to the his posts needing to be approved.

Cole Dano

I just had to delete a post of Josh's which called the progressions for higher reps 'unrealistic'.

 

We do need to keep a watch, every time I get comfortable with his comments, he says something like this.

Cory Fair

I suspect these types of comments will continue to pop up every now and again  :facepalm:

 

This one in particular greatly annoyed me. It's right before claiming Daniel had the same physique as Allan and the implication that 98.4142178491% of Daniel's progress was due to Josh's own magic.

 

I know that many people, including Coach, have downplayed the importance of what I believe as far as nutrition goes, but the results speak for themselves.
Nic Branson

Sad part is, anyone who has worked with higher level athletes, especially at the college level can tell you their diets atrocious. The food I watched them eat and the quantities /cringe.

Josh is still at a point where he feels the need to talk himself up and look important.

If you're going to be a trainer or coach, let your results speak for themselves.

I am proud of her so have to add, one of my clients at her second ever Strongman comp just placed 3rd. Good chunk of her assistance work is bodyweight also. Ok self bragging to small crowd done :)

Coach Sommer
Cole Dano said:

I just had to delete a post of Josh's which called the progressions for higher reps 'unrealistic'.

 

We do need to keep a watch, every time I get comfortable with his comments, he says something like this.

 

Please drop Josh a note appraising him of the inappropriate nature of his post and it's subsequent deletion.

Cole Dano

Will do.

 

Is Josh able to use the PM system now? If not I will send him an email, I was already considering doing it, glad to get the nudge.

Coach Sommer

Let's not reset Josh's PM priviledges until we are sure that this behavior is behind us.

Coach Sommer

- At the Scottsdale GBS Josh Naterman's mobility was quite poor; yet for someone who has never been flexible, and has never trained anyone else to be flexible, he sure give a lot of advice on increasing mobility.   :facepalm:

 

- Cory, is there a way to re-enable Josh's PM priviledges where we can still keep an eye on him?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Cory Fair
Coach Sommer said:

- At the Scottsdale GBS Josh Naterman's mobility was quite poor; yet for someone who has never been flexible, and has never trained anyone else to be flexible, he sure give a lot of advice on increasing mobility.   :facepalm:

 

- Cory, is there a way to re-enable Josh's PM priviledges where we can still keep an eye on him?

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

Coach,

 

Without extensive modification, there's no automatic way to monitor this on the boards. I can do a ghost login via the admin interface, but it'd require me doing so at regular intervals to keep tabs.

Cole Dano

- Sorry I didn't mean to imply we should reinstated Josh's PM ability. Just needed to know where it was at. Didn't want to contact him via email if PM was an option.

 

- I passed Josh's reply on to Coach.

 

- Based on the reply, I think he might need a little more time where he is now. As time goes on and people forget he was a mod his status will go down to that of a regular member. At that point I think there is little danger in him having PM privileges.

 

- He needs to grow up to the point that he doesn't always need to defend his honour at the expense of everyone around him.

Cory Fair

I agree, Cole. Josh hasn't taken his own advice.

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/12126-carpal-tunnel-self-treatment/#entry117843

 

As well as further in the thread:

 

 

 

You're welcome.
 
I know I probably came across a bit harshly, but to be honest sometimes it is good to be told the right thing bluntly. Shock value is under-rated, and being a big softy is a bit over-rated. In this case, I felt that bluntness was best.

 

 
 
Nic Branson

Told Cole this a few min ago but Josh needs to help himself and quit trying to help everyone with everything.

I almost think he needs a month off from posting anything.

Cole Dano

I'd back the decision to give Josh a one month leave after this last wave.

Cory Fair
Josh,

 

- It is not that the program is supposedly perfect.  You may indeed be correct, however as you yourself seem to be unable to follow the GB program long enough to have a viable opinion we are unable to verify your opinion.  Which at this stage is all that it is; your opinion.

 

- Bottom line, you were the least prepared of all the semi "advanced" students at the May GBS.  You were the tightest with the lowest degree of mobility.  Your strength was also far behind where it should be by this point in your training career.  You washed out of the certification testing almost immediately.  Those are the 'facts'.

 

- Too much conversation and not enough perspiration.  Get it together.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---------- Forwarded message ----------

From: Joshua Naterman <joshua.naterman@gmail.com>

Date: Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 2:07 AM

Subject: Re: Deleted Post

To: Cole Dano <mrbrady123@gmail.com>

 

 

I know that what I said is unpopular with you guys, but it is true. No body who is in the development stage is going to hit the jump from 5x36 to 4x48 in two weeks, and no one goes from 4x48 to 4x60 in one week. That's just real talk.

 

If you're already built up from previous training that's a different story, which I specifically said.

 

Nothing is perfect at first release, and I am somewhat mystified at the idea that pointing out a basic flaw, one which I have offered a realistic solution to multiple times, is somehow the wrong thing to do. I have always been clear about this point in my evaluation of the program. If you guys are going to adopt the attitude that pointing out areas where the program needs polishing is bad, you're going to lose the input of your customer base. That just seems silly to me.

 

Facts are facts: we all know, from experience ourselves and from the many threads that were started to ask what people are supposed to do when they fail on a week to week transition, that these templates cannot be accomplished in one go. That, by definition, is a flaw. If you tell someone "week 9 we're doing 4x48s, and week 10 we're doing 4x60s" and they can't do it, your plan has flaws. You are asking bodies to add volume faster than they can put new machinery in place to support the work. if that isn't a flaw, I don't know what is.

 

That doesn't make the program bad, but it does make the weeks legitimate checkpoints instead of realistic 12 week progressions. 

 

I can't help telling the truth. I have research to support my statement, and you have customer experiences AND personal experiences that support my statement. 

 

I explained exactly how those weeks are intended to be used, which is as check points,and it's very similar to the language that was used in the other threads by the mods. I simply condensed a bunch of words into one: "checkpoint."

 

I recommended, and always will because this is how our bodies adapt to exercise, that you should add one rep (or second) on each day that you feel like you can without losing good form, but not more than that (and keeping the deload in place). It won't take long to get past the week that was once a roadblock. This is the same thing that happens naturally when you try to just keep repeating the problem week for a whole minicycle, only I put the actual description of what happens into the conversation.

 

You are free to disagree with my assessment, but this issue of "what do I do when I miss week 7" keeps cropping up. People want more specific guidance for what to do, beyond "repeat that minicycle" so why not just make an example, put it into the program, and be done with it? Then they won't have to keep asking, because you've given them exactly what they need.

 

When an issue consistently shows up for months on end, it is sometimes an indication that something in the program needs to be adjusted, at least in my opinion. 

 

 

 

 

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM, Cole Dano <mrbrady123@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Josh -

 

I deleted a post you made in the Knuckle Push Up thread. Obviously the thread was beginning to make a bad turn.

 

Part of my reason for deleting your thread along with a number of others was to bring the tone back down.

 

However I also had to delete it because in defending yourself, you stated that the Foundation Templates were unrealistic for higher reps.

 

I'd think you would be learning to consider what you're saying and where your'e saying it by now. This simply isn't a statement a (former) mod should be making.

 

All of us working the program have hit points where we can't make the goal reps. No big deal, and we find our ways of working with it. No big deal. It's real life training and we all understand that. A statement to that effect would have been fine. But you shouldn't have gone that extra step that implied the program was flawed. 

 

Had to give my two cents on this one.

 

In health -

Cole
Nic Branson

Not sure a face palm cuts it for Josh's response. From a science stand point alone he has clearly not studied linear vs. undulating periodization, nor as Coach pointed out can be prove the effectiveness of his method by example.

We're starting to spend an quite a bit of energy here again.

Cory Fair

I've asked Orench for this to be on the agenda tomorrow. It isn't productive to spend much time on it, but I'd like his input about this.

Cole Dano

Coach and Nic, your points are spot on. I'm not sure what there is to do here or if it's worth spending much more time on. 

 

At this point, I'm good with whatever is decided, but not sure anything needs to change. Keep Josh on a tight leash, if it looks remotely questionable delete and move on. That's where I'm at at least.

Nic Branson

Problem is we are spending time reading everything he writes to see if we need to delete it.

Cory Fair

Some of these posts are slipping through the cracks, which is the problem.

Cole Dano

Nic and Cory, both valid points.

 

The reading all of Josh's posts is why I originally posted this, however, I was shown wrong by his latest wave of inane posts.

 

A possible solution is that we set some clear rules regarding being on probation. It lasts X time after which we review the case and release from probation or remove from the forum.

 

If a person goes on probation y times it's automatic removal.

 

Anyone on probation will be warned and the rules explained to them.

 

Nic is right, we can only invest so much energy into policing.

Orench Lagman

Cory,

 

Thanks for catching me up to speed. I will read the tread thoroughly. 

 Talk to you guys soon.

Coach Sommer

No need to schedule a conference call with Josh. He just doesn't get it and I am beginning to suspect that he is not ever going to.

Cory Fair
Coach Sommer said:

No need to schedule a conference call with Josh. He just doesn't get it and I am beginning to suspect that he is not ever going to.

 

Oi, that doesn't sound like a pleasant call. Do we restrict his posting altogether or keep it on an approval basis?