This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Form check-- HBP, FL, RC

Started by Jon Douglas, July 3, 2013 · 14 Replies · 618 Views

Jon Douglas

 

 

Mitigating factors / excuses;

- Hand slipped on 2nd rep of Russian dips, hence the weird look there.

- The bars I usually use for Lsit Russian dips were being used by some kids, so I was relegated to the monkey bars today, which you'll notice are slightly too narrow to allow my feet to pass back up. Included here since I think it'sclear I am pushing up as far as possible.

 

 

- Think the correction between the two sets here of inverted hang is fairly clear, but have taken that one to heart; need to open hips more. Definitely benefitted from viewing my own video of that one, subsequent sets from videod were much straighter.

-Please remember that these are low bridges rather than pushing up to full extension.

- Are the BTN pullups high enough, wide enough? I do touch the back of my neck to the bar on every rep...

- Noticed my one arm isn't locked on the shoulder distractions. Will be more aware of that.

 

 

Any and all advice welcomed!

Joshua Slocum

Generally I try to do Russian dips slowly rather than with a jerk as you're doing. But that's how it's demonstrated in the F2 video as well, so I think you're fine. The Korean dips look good, too, though I would make extra sure you're fully extending at the top (it's hard to tell but it looks like you might not be making it all the way on a few). 

 

It looks like you should be shooting for another 1-2 inches of ROM on the pullups. You want to touch the base of your neck. I think the width is fine (1.5x shoulders is the recommended minimum; I think you're at about 1.75x).

 

You look just a little bit piked in your inverted hang.

 

Your low bridge is too high :P

Jon Douglas
Zach Armijo said:

I would slow down the Koreans and make sure you spend more time at the resting position of the rep. Also, your SBIH need to be more extended. You should have the bar pressed into your thighs. Your 2nd attempt at them was a little better, but again, more extension to get the bar to your mid thigh area. 

 

I think I'm just rushing to get them done. Easy fix.

As mentioned I picked up the SIBH too... pretty shocked by how bad the first one looked. Will definitely keep a focus on that.

Joshua Slocum said:

Generally I try to do Russian dips slowly rather than with a jerk as you're doing. But that's how it's demonstrated in the F2 video as well, so I think you're fine. The Korean dips look good, too. 

 

It looks like you should be shooting for another 1-2 inches of ROM on the pullups. You want to touch the base of your neck. I think the width is fine (1.5x shoulders is the recommended minimum; I think you're at about 1.75x).

 

You look just a little bit piked in your inverted hang.

 

Your low bridge is too high :P

- I'm certainly not using momentum on the Russian dips, but I'll slow em down to be 100% sure.

- Will run another 4 weeks on the pullups; hopefully that's a fairly easy fix.

- The pike is shocking on reflection. Will post up a better video on Friday.

- Heh, it's hard to tell, I have quite a stretchy bridge.

 

Thanks for your time guys. Mostly just slow down and pay more attention to what I'm doing, I guess :)

Joshua Slocum
Charm said:

I think I'm just rushing to get them done. Easy fix.

As mentioned I picked up the SIBH too... pretty shocked by how bad the first one looked. Will definitely keep a focus on that.

- I'm certainly not using momentum on the Russian dips, but I'll slow em down to be 100% sure.

- Will run another 4 weeks on the pullups; hopefully that's a fairly easy fix.

- The pike is shocking on reflection. Will post up a better video on Friday.

- Heh, it's hard to tell, I have quite a stretchy bridge.

 

Thanks for your time guys. Mostly just slow down and pay more attention to what I'm doing, I guess :)

 

For Russian dips, you don't have kill yourself trying to do the transition as a slow, smooth press.  

 

As a cue for the pullups, I would take a stick, and bring it down behind your head until it contacts your neck at about shoulder height (use a mirror to check!); learn how that feels and try to get the bar to touch the same place when you're doing pullups. It might be a simple fix where you just need to concentrate on going higher. However, if you find that you can't complete your assigned sets/reps while going all the way up on every rep, it'd be best to go back even further until you're completing your RC work with every rep done all the way up. 

Jon Douglas
Joshua Slocum said:

For Russian dips, you don't have kill yourself trying to do the transition as a slow, smooth press.  

 

As a cue for the pullups, I would take a stick, and bring it down behind your head until it contacts your neck at about shoulder height (use a mirror to check!); learn how that feels and try to get the bar to touch the same place when you're doing pullups. It might be a simple fix where you just need to concentrate on going higher. However, if you find that you can't complete your assigned sets/reps while going all the way up on every rep, it'd be best to go back even further until you're completing your RC work with every rep done all the way up. 

- The dips shouldn't be a difficult fix. I spent a fair bit of time doing the negatives to get that transition nice and smooth, and can definitely do it slowly. I'll just make sure I keep an eye on it in my regular sessions.

- I've been happy with my prior RC work; my wide grip pulls for eg are head and shoulders over the (same) bar. I'll see how these come up later this week with a focus on getting as close to shoulders as I can, and ask for more advice if there's an issue. There's no (public) approved Foundation next step yet anyway, so running them another 4 weeks costs me nothing.

 

Unless I hear differently on the Russian transition, on to XR dips I go~ (this is week 11 for them, 5x5). Will be good to get back on the rings again!

Joshua Slocum

If you finish the RC progressions and F3 isn't out, you could do L-sit wide-grip behind the neck pullups. Another interesting modification might be to do wide-grip in the front, lower down half way, do half a lat-fly to pull yourself in front of the bar, then pull up behind your neck, then lower down, do the other half of the lat fly to pull yourself behind the bar, and then repeat. 

 

Also, I'm not privy to the contents of F3 before its release, but if the seminar is any indicator, you're going to want to be finding a rope to work with soon :)

Jon Douglas
Joshua Slocum said:

If you finish the RC progressions and F3 isn't out, you could do L-sit wide-grip behind the neck pullups. Another interesting modification might be to do wide-grip in the front, lower down half way, do half a lat-fly to pull yourself in front of the bar, then pull up behind your neck, then lower down, do the other half of the lat fly to pull yourself behind the bar, and then repeat. 

 

Also, I'm not privy to the contents of F3 before its release, but if the seminar is any indicator, you're going to want to be finding a rope to work with soon :)

Heh, that's just awesome. Are you making up these combinations on the fly, or are you drawing from somewhere? I like it a lot.

 

And yeah, there has been more than one indication that a load of actual rope work is upcoming. My climbing rope is due any day now, so I'll probably dabble in that to overprepare for F3 work...

Niklas03

I'll add a few things I noticed:

 

- On the shoulder distractions you could slow down a bit and really articulate the movement. You don't need to go all slow motion, but put some thought into it.

 

- Your "low bridge" is quite nice. Try putting your arms closer to each other. I don't know if it will make a huge difference in your case but it's one step closer to the perfect bridge.

Joshua Slocum
Charm said:

Heh, that's just awesome. Are you making up these combinations on the fly, or are you drawing from somewhere? I like it a lot.

 

And yeah, there has been more than one indication that a load of actual rope work is upcoming. My climbing rope is due any day now, so I'll probably dabble in that to overprepare for F3 work...

 

I'm just making it up as I go along. It's a pretty simple formula: take previous exercises you want to combine, and think of a transition that makes you work harder.  :)

Jon Douglas
Niklas03 said:

I'll add a few things I noticed:

 

- On the shoulder distractions you could slow down a bit and really articulate the movement. You don't need to go all slow motion, but put some thought into it.

 

- Your "low bridge" is quite nice. Try putting your arms closer to each other. I don't know if it will make a huge difference in your case but it's one step closer to the perfect bridge.

This seems to be a running theme in the advice here; Jon needs to slow down his reps. Thanks :)

The bridge here wasn't close to effort for me, I honestly thought it was a lot lower than it looks on camera. I'll try to make it less of an afterthought.

piotro

To my eye you are kipping small bit on russian dips, for example look at your L-ones, on the way up there is a brief moment when you bend legs, looks like a small kip.

FredInChina

Very nicely done Jon :)

Jon Douglas
FredInChina said:

Very nicely done Jon :)

Cheers Fred. It's been a long week already; this wasn't the greatest day but that's when we should be doubly watching form, right...

 

 

piotro said:

To my eye you are kipping small bit on russian dips, for example look at your L-ones, on the way up there is a brief moment when you bend legs, looks like a small kip.

Hmm, I don't *think* I am doing that, but I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

Jon Douglas
Zach Armijo said:

The idea of kipping in the Russian Dips is that fast forward jerk, rather than a smooth pull up. But like a MU, the forward jerk is necessary until the strength is built to pull through the transition. Just make sure you are going down nice and slow to that upper arm support, much like a controlled neg through a MU transition. 

Gotcha. If time permits I'll get another video on Friday to demonstrate the same again more slowly, otherwise it will have to wait until next week.

Thanks again all.

Jon Douglas

Update;

 

BTN wide pullups today-- figured out that rotating shoulders somewhat while hanging, before pulling up, lets me pull up to genuine base of neck.However, could not get rep #5 (of 5x5) all the way up; another microcycle required on this.

 

For anyone trying to duplicate this, to prep the pull it was the same feeling of keeping shoulders forward to do strict HLL on a single bar. I want to say external rotation here.