This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Should I bother finishing the sPL progressions?

Started by Joshua Slocum, July 2, 2013 · 8 Replies · 241 Views

Joshua Slocum

Recently I've been finding that Foundation sPL work is intense/voluminous enough that it has a negative impact on my 'real' planche training the following day. I've been having to decrease the volume or intensity of my rings planche holds because I'm tired from the previous day's Foundation work.

 

I'm starting to question the utility of continuing through the rest of the sPL progressions. The thing I've found Foundation to be most useful for me so far is in filling in holes in my physical preparation (e.g. I'm comparatively weak in arch body holds and rows, I've had some serious mobility deficiencies, especially in the FL, HBP and RC progressions). 

 

With the sPL progressions, I haven't really found any holes in my preparation. With each element so far, I've either immediately mastered it, or taken a 4-week mini-cycle to develop enough endurance to pass the mastery test. I've had absolutely no trouble with the mobility elements so far. Looking ahead, it seems that the sPL progressions are all quite straightforward, going through progressively more and more difficult planche variations.

 

Given that my straddle planche is rock-solid on rings and floor, and my full planche is coming along nicely, I'm questioning whether there is value in me continuing the sPL portion of Foundation, when that energy and effort could instead be used for more advanced work. I'd appreciate if anyone has thoughts to offer on this matter. I don't want to shortchange myself by skipping exercises that I would benefit from, but at this point I'm not sure the sPL progressions will really help me, in either the long term or the short term.

 

Am I just letting my ego get the best of me? 

thecolin
Joshua Slocum said:

 

Am I just letting my ego get the best of me? 

I asked coach at the seminar whether for the arch back hold I should be just be keeping my legs straight, or locked out hard. And he just looked at me and said "You know the answer to that". And it was true, in hindsight I knew, but I was hoping for a way out. Like it was said at the start, you can't just assume mastery, you need to do it.

 

If mastery is so easy, then do it, I doubt your straddle planche is going to disappear. If I were in your position, I'd carefully work through the progressions and try to milk each one and try to find holes in your performance. If you're too focused on just getting it over with, I'd guess you're quite likely to miss a few details.

 

If you don't need to work on the progressions that much for mastery, maybe you can just cut down your volume on them to once a week.

Joshua Slocum
thecolin said:

If mastery is so easy, then do it, I doubt your straddle planche is going to disappear. If I were in your position, I'd carefully work through the progressions and try to milk each one and try to find holes in your performance. If you're too focused on just getting it over with, I'd guess you're quite likely to miss a few details.

 

I'm not worried about my straddle planche disappearing. It's about the cost in time, since Foundation work is now interfering with my other planche work. I could spend ~1 year going through the remaining sPL progressions (assuming F3-4 are about the same length as 1-2) and making sure I have done a  successful mastery test of every exercise, in the hope that I might eke out some benefit. Or I could take that time and instead use it on exercises that I know I will benefit from. 

Nic Branson

Ditto to Dan above for another point of view

Daniel Burnham

Originally I wrote a response directly to Josh because I didn't want people to try and follow suit and not really master each exercise, but I feel it may be better to put it here so it can be evaluated by others (Nic, Coach).  As always I am open to correction and criticism.

 

 

Personally I would use the mastery set in the Foundation program as a goal.  I would move on when I could do it no problem for the allotted time.  So instead of doing the 5 sets or whatever just work on set each day.  Keep doing it a few weeks after you are physically capable of holding the time ex (tuck planche 30 sec) and get it to where the tuck planche isn't too bad and you feel like you could go into another set or your main planche workload with just a little rest.  I would try and go up each day only a second or two and then stall at mastery for a while.  You will notice this shouldn't be much of a problem.  Basically you are progressing a bit faster with a bit less volume.  I would still try and test full mastery eventually on a lighter load day after completing this.  We can assume that the main things are there (full protraction, flat back and straight arms with appropriate lean) if you have straddle planche rock solid and a maltese.  I also trust you are smart enough to identify weaknesses and not let ego get in your way.  

 

Just a note for anyone else reading this.  You have been to the seminar and should understand that very few people should consider this and should instead go for full mastery.  I myself am going to full mastery but don't have a maltese and my rings planche is not very good.

Coach Sommer

If your sPL is solid, why would it take a year to work thru the progressions?

Please post a video of your planche on the FX or PBs and on rings.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Slocum
Coach Sommer said:

If your sPL is solid, why would it take a year to work thru the progressions?

Please post a video of your planche on the FX or PBs and on rings.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

A year is an estimate; if it takes 4 weeks per element, starting at elevated planche leans, and F3-4 are approximately as long as F2. Maybe it won't take so long. 

 

Here is my rings planche:

 

 

I will take a floor planche video today during practice and post it tonight for further evaluation. 

Coach Sommer

- Nice gym.

 

- Nice sPL as well.  

 

- Why would it take four weeks per element if you are already capable of performing the element?  Demonstrate week 11 mastery for both the element and it's iM and then move on to the next element/iM in the progression on your next workout day.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Slocum
Coach Sommer said:

- Nice gym.

 

- Nice sPL as well.  

 

- Why would it take four weeks per element if you are already capable of performing the element?  Demonstrate week 11 mastery for both the element and it's iM and then move on to the next element/iM in the progression on your next workout day.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

 

 

- Thanks. You should come visit sometime. :) 

 

- Good to hear that it passes muster under the eye of a professional.

 

- Perhaps I am simply being pessimistic. I'll shut up and get back to work.