This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Deload vs. Week Off

Started by mm356, July 2, 2013 · 4 Replies · 252 Views

mm356

Are the reps in the deload week absolutely necessary, or were they prescribed in the spirit of "I know you are going to do something, so don't do more than 50% at a maximum"?  Just a thought experiment as to how a full week off, a 1x workout deload week, and a 2x workout deload week would differ in the grand scheme of things for a typical 2x workout/week progression.  No big deal, just thinking out loud here...

 

 

Joshua Slocum

Working during deload week is important. It keeps your muscles and your CNS primed for the exercises you're doing, while being light enough that they can recover. 

Tyler Gibson

By taking a deload week where you work exercises at a lower intensity, you are giving yourself three months a year of extra practice for the movements you're working. Would you want to take 3 full months off of training a year? I find that in addition to what Joshua said, deload weeks stimulate recovery by getting my blood flowing a little. If I feel really burnt out I will take a full week off but that's something I might do once every six months, not every fourth week. 

Joshua Slocum
adidashred said:

By taking a deload week where you work exercises at a lower intensity, you are giving yourself three months a year of extra practice for the movements you're working. Would you want to take 3 full months off of training a year? I find that in addition to what Joshua said, deload weeks stimulate recovery by getting my blood flowing a little. If I feel really burnt out I will take a full week off but that's something I might do once every six months, not every fourth week. 

You're right: blood flow (and also lymph flow) are helpful for recovery.

Samui

I do the deload week according to the instructions but on the deload week I do Friday's workout(s) on Thursday. Gives me one extra rest day which seems to help me to recover very nicely for the next cycle.