Which is better / which do you prefer ?
Obviously a well rounded routine would incorporate both, but if that wasnt a choice, which?
Started by Shia, July 1, 2013 · 6 Replies · 4,428 Views
Which is better / which do you prefer ?
Obviously a well rounded routine would incorporate both, but if that wasnt a choice, which?
I definetly do both but if I had to choose one, pull ups.
I don't see why "a well rounded routine" would include both. Both train the same muscles, but with differing force distributions. In particular, chin ups target more the biceps, pullups more the brachialis. And you could also use a neutral "hammer" grip.
Which distribution is more functional?
I know many climbers (including me) who have injured their biceps, and also some gymnasts - John Gill and Eberhard Gienger broke their biceps completely after problems near the lower tendon (breaking one of the upper tendons occurs more often but is a different story). This means that a biceps which is too short wrt. to the brachialis is dangerous.
Therefore: Pull ups.
If I had to choose, I'd probably do pull ups.
I don't do normal pull ups anymore though. I'm currently doing OAC work, rope climbs, muscle ups, and front lever.
Shia said:Which is better / which do you prefer ?
Pull ups are better for gymnastic techniques. I prefer chin ups as they are easier. ![]()
If there wasn't a choice of doing both, I'd choose pull ups as they are more relevant to GST.
[Current status: 4 strict pull ups to chest, and maintaining 10 strict slow chin ups from dead hang]
I prefer pull ups when unweighted, chin ups when weighted.
Ideally you'd want multiple variations in a well-rounded training routine to get different loading on various muscles, and strengthen the joints with multiple loading angles, etc - pull-up, chin-up, neutral grip, towel variations, narrow grip to wide grip, and so forth.
This obviously changes when you are working around injuries/limitations.
If I had to choose one, I'd prefer pull-ups. As to which is better? ...the counter-question to that would be 'for what...' ![]()