This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Choosing the Right Starting Point Question

Started by Rob Monti, July 1, 2013 · 2 Replies · 117 Views

Rob Monti

Hey everybody,

 

Just purchased F1 and am going to do some mastery testing tonight. I just wanted to get some clarity on where to start once the testing is done.

 

I am, for example, going to test myself on FL/PE3. Let's say I don't hit all 5 of the 60second holds. According to the "Getting Started" section, I should then start the FL/PE3 cycle on Week 1 so may master this skill.

 

I've seen on this forum, however, begginers write how they started on Week 5 or Week 9 of a particular cycle.

 

 

My question: How does one know on which "week" to start? Does it depend on how close you came to mastering the Exercise and iM? It's possible I am misunderstanding what other people on this forum are doing, as I said, I'm just getting started.

 

 

Thanks in Advance.

 

Rob

dritar

I think the rule of thumb is:

 

If you can do the sets x reps of the mastery sets but maybe you felt that form was a bit off or tempo a bit rushed in the last set, basically if you can do the reps but have not really mastered the exercise (but are close) start on week 9.

 

If you can do a couple of sets with good form but maybe you can't quite  finish the reps on the last two sets, start on week 5.

 

Else week 1.

 

Do not discount that mobility also can be a big part of this. You may need the whole cycle just for the mobility element. This happens to me a lot with SLS elements where I find the mobility often harder than the strength element (twisting squats, natural leg extensions) or even if not harder, worth the extra time (inside squats).

 

EDIT: Also, when in doubt. Be conservative. The first month of the cycle is easy in the effort sense, but it's often important to assimilate the form of the exercise. There'll be time for tears later :).

Mats Trane

And dont forget to test yourself for mastery for PE1, PE2 as well. I did this mistake asuming I would do the earlier PE's just because I mastered later PE's.

Form is very important as well. If you master for example 5x15 of MN/PE2 with bad form and go on to the next progression you will pay for this in later progressions.

Film yourself every now and then to check your form and compare yourself with the athelete in the video.