This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Front Lever

Started by ChrisUK, July 1, 2013 · 5 Replies · 318 Views

ChrisUK

Hey all just a quick question.

 

Is the foundation 4 front lever that you attain at the end supposed to be a front lever on the rings, or on a pull-up bar?

 

Also, I am curious as to what you guys are doing besides F1/H1? I am trying to do my normal workload, but of course I will have to scale it back a bit once I find my workload's sweet spot.

 

So what have you done? Dropped everything except F1/H1 for GST, or made F1 your priority, or just a complement to your normal training?

 

Thanks guys,

 

Chris.

Norbert Marko

I think that F1/H1 will be more than enough as you approach the end of you microcycles because the volume gets pretty high.
If this is not enough for you, I suggest to focus on stretching, it is your best bet.
I'll also try to incoporate some spirnt intervals soon, and some skill work. The other thing I tought about are the big lifts like squatting and deadlifting, these two cannot be substituted by anything, but then came to the conclusion that implementing it after my foundation work is done ( it can be a long time) is a better idea since I do not want to move external load if I cannot move my own bodyweight.

dritar

Personally the only thing I'm adding to F1 right now is a seated straddle hold / kit's hip flexor stretch combo to address my weaknesses in MN/PE2. 

Jon Douglas

To begin with i added more (mostly medium volume ring str sets), but at the end of F2 my regular work sets are pretty much the top end of my previous GST workouts in termsnof strength. That plus volume is somewhat higher and the pace is way up, which has been nuts on my endurance and wind.

Fl on rings is pretty much ththe same as on bar for me...

Otherwise for me F2+H1 covers my GST thoroughly. My progress is excellent since i started listening closely to those who know their stuff.

ChrisUK

So does anyone know if the front lever is on the rings or the bar at the end of F4? (

 

I am actually figuring out a way to incorporate both active and static lower body stretching, Norbert, (glad you reminded me of that tho since I have sort of left it for a few days) because I cannot do a genuine good form straddle. This has held me back primarily on my front lever, as i can hold the 1 leg out variation for around 30s with excellent form, but the straddle version for only around 4-5s.  Also I know this will make accomplishing the straddle planche much more difficult. So I plan to work on the front and side splits, as well as lowering deeper in to a martial arts horse stance.

 

Thanks for the responses as to what else you guys may/may not be doing ;-) I am having an intense month of workouts until I get back to college where I will cool it down and drop my workout load a lot.

Joshua Slocum
ChrisUK said:

So does anyone know if the front lever is on the rings or the bar at the end of F4? (

 

 

It doesn't really matter. The front lever is pretty much the same on rings and bar. If you have a strong front lever, you can do it just as well on either apparatus. 

 

The difference between rings and other apparatuses only starts to get big when your center of mass is at or above ring height. When that happens, the instability of the rings suddenly becomes a big factor. Which is why for example a rings planche is much harder than a floor planche.