RTO form and function

Started by LateStarter@46, July 1, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,351 Views

LateStarter@46

Hello, please would someone let me know: 

 

1. What are the gymnastic/ technical reasons for doing RTO (e.g. in a support hold), and 

2. What is (meant to be) happening anatomically?

 

Thank you very much.

Bipocni

All I know is that it rotates the humeral head into its socket, which creates stability.  I know it doesn't feel like it at first lol.

 

Real science aside, I think it also stresses the biceps tendon somewhat, and builds strength in the smaller muscles of the elbow and forearm. 

LateStarter@46

Thank you for that Bipocni. I'm trying to get a feel for what I should be squeezing/locking/aligning in the back, shoulder, elbow and wrist during the RTO.

Jon Douglas
LateStarter@46 said:

Thank you for that Bipocni. I'm trying to get a feel for what I should be squeezing/locking/aligning in the back, shoulder, elbow and wrist during the RTO.

XR Lsit drives it all home in pretty short order IME. Be gentle on your elbows though, volume in this adds up quickly.

m6shifter

RTO is great for biceps and upperbody. I was up to 5 sets of 30secs 2 times a week before F1. But have been on F1 for 16 weeks now and that has been taking most of my endurance and strength up . Hopefully this will be added later in the foundation series.   I try to get 1 set in or 2 every now and again but that is getting less and less as I get deeper into f1.  Great overall exercise though.