Hollow Body HeSPU (Stomach-to-Wall)

Started by Jono, June 30, 2013 · 5 Replies · 2,236 Views

Jono

Does anybody have/know any videos of hollow body hespu, stomach to wall? It would be really useful for me to see.

 

I've really been working on being perfectly hollow, but was thinking this may be slowing down progress. Perhaps if I allow a small arch (which enables me to do more reps), and build it up to a certain number of sets/reps, that I will actually progress faster in the perfectly hollow position as well.

And I'm sure this has been answered before, but why is the person in BtGB doing hespu back-to-wall?

Jono

He doesn't look very close to the wall with his hands.

 

Any others?

raja

You can't be too close to the wall because the handstand push up does not only involve vertical movement. There is some horizontal movement to accommodate the moving center of mass. If your hands get too close to the wall, you have to arch your back. The video above shows good form.

Cody

Is there any point in doing back to wall hespu?

I find them way easier than stomach to wall, and all of the arching doesn't seem like it's very productive in building strength in the proper body position.

Jono

Thanks for clearing that up, raja. I noticed when I put my hands really close to the wall, I could not keep myself hollow. I thought it was due to a lack of strength, but now I realise/understand the movement. I was actually doing much better with hands slightly further out (to allow for the horizontal movement, as you said). :)

 

I also find back-to-wall dramatically easier. The arching (and flared elbows) increases recruitment from the upper chest and trapezius.