Back Lever ---> Front delt or Rear delt dominant?

Started by TheSecondName, June 28, 2013 · 10 Replies · 6,716 Views

TheSecondName

Is the back lever front delt or rear delt dominant?

Want to know it because I have a push, pull, and lowerbody routine at the moment.

I train front delt indirectly on push days, rear delts directly/indirectly on pull days.

ZRX38

I think its front delt dominant. A rear delt dominant static position would be a V sit

Joshua Slocum

Back lever is most accurately grouped with "push" skills despite being a "pull" skill. It works the front of the body most heavily.

TheSecondName

Ok thanks. I put them on the push days. In the past, I did them seperatly on specific core days.

TheSecondName
ZRX38 said:

I think its front delt dominant. A rear delt dominant static position would be a V sit

Ok thanks. Can you explain why a V-sit work the rear delts more?

Joshua Slocum
TheSecondName said:

Ok thanks. Can you explain why a V-sit work the rear delts more?

I would suggest reading through this page; it will give you a better understanding of which muscles are involved in which shoulder movements:

 

http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

Mats Trane
Joshua Slocum said:

I would suggest reading through this page; it will give you a better understanding of which muscles are involved in which shoulder movements:

 

http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

Thanks for reminding me about this page its a realy good look up page when someone shovs a whole bunch of latin muscle names around them. 

B1214N

I think the lats are also a prime mover in the BL.

Joshua Slocum
B1214N said:

I think the lats are also a prime mover in the BL.

Anecdotally, I would disagree. The only way I've ever felt my lats helping during a back lever is by giving my triceps something to rest on :lol: 

 

Based on the muscles generally involved in shoulder flexion, I would also disagree:

 

Flexion: Bending the joint resulting in a decrease of angle; moving the upper arm upward to the front.
Deltoid (anterior)
Deltoid (lateral)
Pectoralis major (clavicular head)
Coracobrachialis
Biceps brachii (short head)
B1214N

I don't know, but I heard from Steven Low that it does and from Joshua Naterman that any motion that brings the arms toward the body is a function of the lats. This isn't about squeezing the triceps into the lats of course. So I think that shoulder flexion with the shoulders hyperextended (arms behind the back) does involve the lats.

Bipocni

I think lats would get involved to stabilise the shoulder joint, but that's about it.

 

TheSecondName, when you stop thinking in terms of delts and start thinking in terms of scapula, things start to make a lot more sense...