Lately, I have been trying to GTG for pistols. Things have been going ok, until I seemed to get sore and weak from stretching. All my stretching is done after strength training, so it is not an initial weakness, but a delayed one. Sometimes, I need to rest for 3 or more days to recover and DOMS to go away. So much for keeping the frequency high. I'm also not using PNF, or any vigorous stretching. I don't even stretch to the point of pain. I just gradually relax over sets of 30 sec. holds. Has anyone else felt like they are battling a tug of war when trying to improve both simultaneously?
Stretching and strengthening the same muscle group.
Started by JL, February 1, 2009 · 1 Replies · 2,027 Views
1, My advice would be to get used to the strength work first. Then once you have no soreness from that, add the stretching in.
2. On the other hand, if you are a person who is extremely tight it might be a good idea to get used to the stretching first and then add in the strength.
3. Or start lower volume for each and then up it as you adapt.
Those are your 3 alternatives.
Soreness is generally to be avoided since it has detrimetal effects on strength output especially in fairly high frequency training.