This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

mn/pe1

Started by m6shifter, June 26, 2013 · 17 Replies · 429 Views

m6shifter

I never noticed but you are suppossed to put your hands and feet down every rep. I always left my feet and arms a few inches off the ground between reps. It does not make the exercise harder but I think you get less monentum this way. I like it a lot better the correct way. 

 

Keilani Gutierrez

I haven't been touching the ground for a while now, since im trying to work on my balance for Straddle Ups. 

 

i haven't been told either/or is correct or incorrect. just don't use the ground as assistance or a "stand" for when you get to that angle and you're good

m6shifter

in the video the athlete is going all the way down every rep w/both feet and hands. Or basically touching the mat. I do not know if it is correct or both ways are acceptable. I will choose to touch ground every rep.

Keilani Gutierrez
m6shifter said:

in the video the athlete is going all the way down every rep w/both feet and hands. Or basically touching the mat. I do not know if it is correct or both ways are acceptable. I will choose to touch ground every rep.

and that is totally fine ^_^

 

the only point worth making formerly was to not use the ground as assistance, touching it is just fine. if you feel you are balancing onto your fingers, you're gonna be developing a bad habit

m6shifter

I feel I have less monentum when touching feet and hands to the ground in the full layout part. In my opinion the exercise is better  . And you know what opinions are like..  No need to balance in the full layout part of the exercise.

Keilani Gutierrez

LOL

 

I totally thought you were talking about the TOP part of the Tuck up, not the bottom! 

 

my bad :P 

m6shifter

I understand the confusion. LOL  Not touching ground at the top

Keilani Gutierrez

:facepalm:

P5yx

Do we have to lay down completly flat on the ground for mastery? i mean in a completly straight line (arms, shoulders, lower back, legs), like in h1's pe4.

because of my really tight hip flexors this would gonna take a long time for me....

so what do you think? my guess is that laying down completly flat on the ground isn't necessary for mastering the pe

but i'm not shure about it.

Keilani Gutierrez
P5yx said:

Do we have to lay down completly flat on the ground for mastery? i mean in a completly straight line (arms, shoulders, lower back, legs), like in h1's pe4.

because of my really tight hip flexors this would gonna take a long time for me....

so what do you think? my guess is that laying down completly flat on the ground isn't necessary for mastering the pe

but i'm not shure about it.

it more than likely is because a part of performing hanging leg lifts is starting from a full hang and beginning the ascent with PPT engaged.

a small discovery that has helped my hip mobility

-deep squat with proper form

-more ankle flexibility(roll the calves or stretch'em)

-lay down and work on PPT and then lower legs in a straddle and touch the ground with PPT engaged(your going to aim to go from straddle to legs straight)

-hip flexor stretch( preferably the voodoo magic kind(what i call PNF :P) do some contractions against the ground while you are lunging

-foam roll the quads/glutes/anything that contributes to tightness or can radiate tightness.

-keep doing tuck ups to strengthen your abs(its my preference that even if you can't glue yourself the floor between reps, you should always go for that PPT for the duration of a set. this greatly helped me in achieving better compression and feeling more direct work towards my particular weakness, due to so many years of misalignment. im essentially learning what to use my abs for and when and at what tension levels. its so much fun :) )

and of course, perfect form. learn how to squeeze very ounce of benefit from incorporating the best quality of cues to milk every progression for what its worth.

P5yx

Thx alot K! I've read a lot of your posts especially regarding hip problems. It seams like i really have the exact same problem as you. i already started hip flexing and ppt training. So every tiny bit about getting a better alignment is more then welcome.

Since when do you fix your alignment and how mutch does it improve till now?

 

regarding mn/pe1: so is it a criteria for mastering mn/pe1 to lay completly flat in between reps? I've rewatched the athlete in the video and it seams the he is completly relaxed in between reps. he doesn't seem to use ppt.

m6shifter

I am extending and touching ground. Basically laying flat. I get less monentum this way I feel. For me it probably is a 1 second relaxing state. Also this is in my warmup quite a bit.

trw

I can't maintain PPT lying flat on the ground with straight legs. With tuck-ups I still concentrate on achieving PPT even if I can't keep it at the bottom of the rep. I feel like I'm moving through it on my way up and I hold onto it as long as I can on the way down. I don't think it's necessary for mastery to keep the perfect hollow throughout, even though it would be great if you could. Between FL, HBP, and H1 I don't think that my PPT is being neglected at all.

Keilani Gutierrez
P5yx said:

Thx alot K! I've read a lot of your posts especially regarding hip problems. It seams like i really have the exact same problem as you. i already started hip flexing and ppt training. So every tiny bit about getting a better alignment is more then welcome.

Since when do you fix your alignment and how mutch does it improve till now?

 

regarding mn/pe1: so is it a criteria for mastering mn/pe1 to lay completly flat in between reps? I've rewatched the athlete in the video and it seams the he is completly relaxed in between reps. he doesn't seem to use ppt.

thank you for the praise ^_^

 

I feel like i have to make a clarification, first asses your mobility, the same way we assess mastery on an element before coming to a conclusion that that is your affliction, so then you can take the appropriate measures at home or with your licensed health professional. 

 

I started with the posture stuff when I noticed that my body's misalignment was the factor that was contributing the most to either doing elements incorrectly and/or challenging. mn/pe1 is a perfect example of this. once I started getting more ROM(getting closer to the ground) I started to notice that I was working harder to compress in the top position(and also discovered that my right obliques contribute to a sort of lean on my ascent and descent [ due to there being a clear difference between my right and left obliques in terms of flexibility and strength]) and also because I wanted to do Handstands One. 

 

I feel like all this GST training has helped me SO much in being more aware and knowing my anatomy, due to being so exposed to the internalization of the cues with such frequent practice(4/day F1/ 2-3 day H1) which has a very direct impact on my Gong Fu. I haven't done particular forms in months, that once I start, my body will still have lingering the program to get into a certain body shape while executing some techniques. once I slow it down and apply the cues I've learned here in GST, its made the postures more stable, more grounded and extremely more challenging (Ma Bu, Crane Stance(try this one while tucking your tail and having your hip leveled)) 

dynamo

What is ppt?

Keilani Gutierrez

PPT= Posterior Pelvic Tilt

FredInChina
m6shifter said:

(...) less monentum this way I feel (...)

 

yoda1.gif

Keilani Gutierrez

so much fail in the beginning of this thread, thanks to yours truly. 

 

so glad i got a chance at redemption. xD