This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/PE6

Started by Leo Trinidad, June 25, 2013 · 18 Replies · 491 Views

Leo Trinidad

its my 3rd week doing week 5 and I am harding a hard time on my 5th set of 5 x 36s
the problem with my 5th set is that my lower back gives in..
is this normal? (no problem with grip/wrists, elbows and back/lats)

can i tuck my legs instead of a low L position? will this even help?

or do i have to start back again at week 1? ^_^

 

im still on SL PE1 if this information helps. and i also always start my workout with RC before the other PEs.

 

thanks.

Jon Douglas

Since mastering these I switched em to a minute set in my general warmup, before getting into specifics.

I find a hollow body feels most comfortable for me. My experience is that a bent-l position gives your arms better leverage, but this is very temporary relief from your shoulders-- the arms tire much faster, so you end up short-circuiting your set. That might not be the case if your arms are stronger than mine.

 

If this is the first time you've tried 5x36 then don't stress too much, it might take one or two sessions to get a handle on a volume jump.

Leo Trinidad

i see. i guess i have to try doing it with a hollow body. i just find it weird that by the 5th set my lower back is so fried/tired more than my arms/upper back. is it possible that my lower back is just so weak and that it has an imbalance with my upper body?

 

thanks charm. i guess ill have to be more patient.

Jon Douglas
Leo Trinidad said:

i see. i guess i have to try doing it with a hollow body. i just find it weird that by the 5th set my lower back is so fried/tired more than my arms/upper back. is it possible that my lower back is just so weak and that it has an imbalance with my upper body?

 

thanks charm. i guess ill have to be more patient.

A different position might be more comfortable for you, it just works for me. Maybe keep a little more tension in your abs to take any pressure off your lower back? You'll have to find your particular postion to get through 5x60s, if you're uncomfortable it's just going to feel longer and longer and loooooooooonger....

Leo Trinidad

copy.got it.thanks.  :D

FredInChina

Is it not your hip flexors pulling on your spine that are giving you a hard time with the low L position? :)

Keilani Gutierrez

i've found a similar weakness in my hanging with hollow body form, so it might as well be. (notoriously tight hip flexors)

hard to say without a photo though :) when i hang dead hang style, i have quite the arch on my back. hollowing it out gives my back and abs a workout.

Leo Trinidad

Actually haven't tried the hollow position. I'll check next week. Thanks guys. You guys done with the 5x60 no rest?

Ravn

Not yet, but close. I currently lack 10 secs in the last set. It's a tough PE for sure :)

Jon Douglas
Leo Trinidad said:

Actually haven't tried the hollow position. I'll check next week. Thanks guys. You guys done with the 5x60 no rest?

I did it a couple months ago. Now it's in my daily warmup at 1x70. I'm not sure it really gets that much easier, but passing it makes a big difference-- knowing you can /have completed it means that you can put doubt away where it belongs and just do the work :)

Which is how I finally manned up after several months working on it too. Decided today's the day, banged out 5x60. Attitude goes a long way in extended static holds, because 'oh, wouldn't it just be easier to let go, and I'm almost there, and....' Getting that mindset of just DOING IT (the same one I use for written exams, looong low horse stance, and visits with extended family) helps a lot.

...provided you do of course have the physical prep to justify your confidence ^_^ it's not ALL mental but to me this element was more of a 'how much do you want it' hurdle than anything else.

Leo Trinidad
Ravn said:

Not yet, but close. I currently lack 10 secs in the last set. It's a tough PE for sure :)

Oh wow! Nice!

Leo Trinidad
Charm said:

I did it a couple months ago. Now it's in my daily warmup at 1x70. I'm not sure it really gets that much easier, but passing it makes a big difference-- knowing you can /have completed it means that you can put doubt away where it belongs and just do the work :)

Which is how I finally manned up after several months working on it too. Decided today's the day, banged out 5x60. Attitude goes a long way in extended static holds, because 'oh, wouldn't it just be easier to let go, and I'm almost there, and....' Getting that mindset of just DOING IT (the same one I use for written exams, looong low horse stance, and visits with extended family) helps a lot.

...provided you do of course have the physical prep to justify your confidence ^_^ it's not ALL mental but to me this element was more of a 'how much do you want it' hurdle than anything else.

Yup i agree. Attitude FTW! however how long it takes, i will stick with this PE. :) thanks guys

Jon Douglas
Leo Trinidad said:

Yup i agree. Attitude FTW! however how long it takes, i will stick with this PE. :) thanks guys

I spent four months getting very comfortable with the hold before that attitude moment, so disclaimer for anyone coming in new, its not like being chirpy but unprepared will do it either ^_^

Once i did it though i tested through all but one F2 RC element with no trouble, and the last is only a couple reps short. Just pointing out that being patient certainly didn't lose me any time or momentum in any time frame

mm356

I just failed the 5x36s step on this PE, and as such was the first PE that I literally just failed from a strength aspect.  I've had to clean others up in terms of ROM or form, but this was the first one where I literally couldn't meet the requirements.

 

So I'm closing this cycle out at 5x30s and am looking for a good way to go from 5x30s to 5x60s over the next couple of months.  Not sure if I want to repeat the week 5 microcycle to end back up wtih 5x36s or instead to start here and try and step it slowly to something like 5x40s, 5x50s, and 5x60s over three future microcycles.  The only reason I'm considering the latter is that the jump from 24s to 36s was so difficult that even when I get 5x36s I fear the next as-listed microcyle that jumps to 48s and then to 60s in only two weeks will just be too much too fast for this PE. 

 

Anybody had this issue with this exercise?  Charm - what did your progressions look like?  

Jon Douglas
mm356 said:

I just failed the 5x36s step on this PE, and as such was the first PE that I literally just failed from a strength aspect. I've had to clean others up in terms of ROM or form, but this was the first one where I literally couldn't meet the requirements.

So I'm closing this cycle out at 5x30s and am looking for a good way to go from 5x30s to 5x60s over the next couple of months. Not sure if I want to repeat the week 5 microcycle to end back up wtih 5x36s or instead to start here and try and step it slowly to something like 5x40s, 5x50s, and 5x60s over three future microcycles. The only reason I'm considering the latter is that the jump from 24s to 36s was so difficult that even when I get 5x36s I fear the next as-listed microcyle that jumps to 48s and then to 60s in only two weeks will just be too much too fast for this PE.

Anybody had this issue with this exercise? Charm - what did your progressions look like?

Started from wk 5 for me-- mightve shortened the path a little if id just swallowed my pride and gone from wk1, but spilt milk now. Generally i was just happy with the time rising week to week, even if it wasn't in a full 12 sec jump-- something like 36, 40, 42, 45, 48, 60. Something kept me dropping at 2*60 3*48ish until my head got into through game. When i woke up and struggled to get 40, I figured something was wrong, sucked it up for a last ditch try before dialling down, saw it through the whole week and now its pretty straightforward.

This approach is serving me well in H1 work too. 12sec at a time can be a lot. Im happy to repeat a week until i get all the sets as prescribed.

Ravn

I didn't begin to fail before I hit 4x60. I continued the microcycle anyway and when I got to 5x60 I stayed at that level, making sure to improve just a little bit each workout, while still using deload weeks of course. Usually I gain between three to ten secs in total per workout. I train RC as the very last PE in my workouts, but occasionally I will test it out as the first thing when I'm fresh. This usually adds about ten secs to the total hang time.

Mark Collins
Charm said:

Once i did it though i tested through all but one F2 RC element with no trouble, and the last is only a couple reps short. Just pointing out that being patient certainly didn't lose me any time or momentum in any time frame

I thought that might happen. I expect for different people it will happen at different stages in the foundation. Once a weak link in the body is corrected progress accelerates.

I have often wondered if the brain protects us from getting too out of balance and so limits our strength and fitness. Once these weaknesses are addressed it is like a switch turns on and says it is now safe for the body to progress. The great thing about this program is that it will target our weaknesses.

mm356

When you guys incrementally added time, did you keep it at 5 sets per workout or did you ever drop the sets down to 3 or 4, increase the time, and then increase the sets as laid out in the program?  

Jon Douglas
mm356 said:

When you guys incrementally added time, did you keep it at 5 sets per workout or did you ever drop the sets down to 3 or 4, increase the time, and then increase the sets as laid out in the program?  

I stayed with the rx'd number of sets for that week until I got them all, then went up. So until I got 4x48 for the week, I left it at that.

 

 

Mark Collins said:

I thought that might happen. I expect for different people it will happen at different stages in the foundation. Once a weak link in the body is corrected progress accelerates.

Exactly my take. Stop-go-stop-go until you have rotated through all the weak links, then onto actual strength training ^_^