This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

ABH progressions

Started by killroy70, June 25, 2013 · 15 Replies · 495 Views

killroy70

Like apparently a lot of members, I've been struggling to maintain correct form while increasing my hold times for ABH. I've been working this exercise, repeating cycles since I began F1 a couple of months ago.

I was thinking about approaching it like the HBH progressions, perhaps beginning with arms at my sides, moving then to arms out perpendicular (flying arm position), and finally finishing with full arms straight. Suggestions? Comments?

Hercules
KeilaniG said:

it's easily worth it's weight in gold :P

How much does data weight?

TANSTAAFL
Hercules said:

How much does data weight?

Apparently you haven't been keeping up here. Almost everything is converted into craptons for our purposes, data being objectively measured by its inherent felicitiousness. So get out your conversion tables, slide rule, and a nice glass of red wine mixed w/ 30g protein powder and get cracking.

Joshua Slocum
Hercules said:

How much does data weight?

Depends on your hard drive.

Jon Douglas
TANSTAAFL said:

a nice glass of red wine mixed w/ 30g protein powder and get cracking.

Bleh!

Why would you SAY that?????

Why would you do that to (either protein powder to a lesser extent but far more to the point) red?!

FredInChina
Hercules said:

How much does data weight?

 

99 out of every 100 ounces of gold transacted only exists on paper or electronic form anyway... :)

The day the majority stands for delivery is the day most will be short changed!

TANSTAAFL
Charm said:

Bleh!

Why would you SAY that?????

Why would you do that to (either protein powder to a lesser extent but far more to the point) red?!

Ah, yes. Your response is all the why you should ever need ask for :). Also, as a side note I have always disliked red wine. I drank it for a year straight daily and can now tolerate it, but to me, it will always taste like a Sharpie marker mixed with vinegar. And before you ask, yes I have had 'Good wine' as well...which just tastes like a different proportion of said ingredients :).

dritar

Try  it without the protein powder :).

Jon Douglas
TANSTAAFL said:

Ah, yes. Your response is all the why you should ever need ask for :). Also, as a side note I have always disliked red wine. I drank it for a year straight daily and can now tolerate it, but to me, it will always taste like a Sharpie marker mixed with vinegar. And before you ask, yes I have had 'Good wine' as well...which just tastes like a different proportion of said ingredients :).

 

dritar said:

Try  it without the protein powder :).

Sounds obvious once someone points it out, right? ^_^

TANSTAAFL
Charm said:

Sounds obvious once someone points it out, right? ^_^

I think you guys might have actually inspired me to try it with protein powder. Kudos....for now back to finishing the Foundation subforum. 10 left, booyah.

-MR
killroy70 said:

Like apparently a lot of members, I've been struggling to maintain correct form while increasing my hold times for ABH. I've been working this exercise, repeating cycles since I began F1 a couple of months ago.

I was thinking about approaching it like the HBH progressions, perhaps beginning with arms at my sides, moving then to arms out perpendicular (flying arm position), and finally finishing with full arms straight. Suggestions? Comments?

Killroy, I like the way you think.

 

I moved to easier versions of the ABH after spending three months achieving mastery times without any improvement in my horrible form. I'm now on my third microcycle of a scaled down ABH with arms at my sides and legs bent 90 degrees and slightly straddled, and am hoping to move on to a slightly harder variation in three weeks.

 

My form is definitely much better, but I don't yet know if this will translate into better form once I start moving my arms and legs out. Time will tell, but I'm committed to trying it this way as it makes the most sense to me. To get a little of the rationale as to why I decided to go this route, you can look at the thread KeilaniG posted above, notably posts #110, 117, 120, 128, 139 and 140.

 

Good luck!

trw
-MR said:

Killroy, I like the way you think.

 

I moved to easier versions of the ABH after spending three months achieving mastery times without any improvement in my horrible form. I'm now on my third microcycle of a scaled down ABH with arms at my sides and legs bent 90 degrees and slightly straddled, and am hoping to move on to a slightly harder variation in three weeks.

 

I'm started a plan very similar to this last week, inspired in part by the above mentioned thread. I'm using the same form as MR as well, but I'm only at the early stages. My hamstrings were sore for days after the first time I tried it in a way that I never felt during three months of PE1 form. They're sore again this week. I'm hoping that's because I was able to achieve better muscle activation, and that such activation will eventually carry over to the full extension of PE1. We'll see. I get higher lift in my torso as well. My lower half is still held back a bit by flexibility issues which I'm working on.

Keilani Gutierrez

I can't remember where I read it, but tight muscles have a tendency of "choking" progress when it comes to statics, since its based on activation (don't quote me on that)

that's why i think the correlation between my working on my self massages( rolling, softball, golfball) has helped loosen to the point of extreme acquisition of new ROM. i can't hold it forever, but repeating week 1 over and over, i feel it coming together. for the life of me, after knowing how hard this position has been to acquire, im never eliminating it from my warm ups, same for ABR. it'll be bitter sweet, but a necesary measure to never fall again to the feeling of extreme tightness i felt before ( it took a toll on my knees, my hips, lower back, middle back, neck to be that stiff)

Billy E.

Add me to the list of those experimenting with easier prep variations of ABH.  I'm following the progression outlined in the previously mentioned thread which basically mirrors the progression for FL.  

SuperBru

I haven't drank alcohol since I was born.