I'm currently doing F1 and the Table stretch (PE2im) is my absolutely weakest point.
It's almost pathological how badly the chest collapses. Also, my hands slip out to the sides when I try to push through it - but maybe they are supposed to be wider than shoulderwidth?
Anyone have any good cues for activating properly? Should the scapulae retract, for instance?
Or anyone have any other tips on how to improve the position?
Thanks!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Table
Started by Kage, June 23, 2013 · 21 Replies · 832 Views
It will get better the more you practice.
Not much cue- wise, other than press through the feet and push the hips to the ceiling whilst pressing through the hands and pushing the chest to the ceiling.
Do your best - this will tighten the body and prevent any sagging which is to be avoided
And this may be wrong.... but occasionally my shoulder bothers me a bit, and I find that internally rotating them when in Table makes them feel a bit stronger
Use your glutes to press your pubic bone into the ceiling! ![]()
Once again I'm surprised (or maybe not) at how hard a particular Foundation exercise is. This time Table Inside-Out. Anyone else have difficulty keeping proper alignment and not letting hips drop?
Art Vandelay said:Once again I'm surprised (or maybe not) at how hard a particular Foundation exercise is. This time Table Inside-Out. Anyone else have difficulty keeping proper alignment and not letting hips drop?
Yep. My inside-out table looks like crap. I've only had two sessions with it, though, so there's still hope ![]()
After swiveling, I have to place my hand on the floor, then lift the hips, which is no good, I guess. Lots of work ahead on this one.
Thanks!
I guess I'll just have to grind through it over time, with as narrow a grip as possible.
I'll try out the IR cue too.
Michael Taylor said:And this may be wrong.... but occasionally my shoulder bothers me a bit, and I find that internally rotating them when in Table makes them feel a bit stronger
Tried it out again today - had some mirrors to check the form in and it actually looked a lot better than it felt.
Sure you didn't mean externally rotate the shoulders? I tried both, and that felt much better. Thanks for the tip!
Yes....I think I do. Told you I could be wrong!
Tables are fun.
This is definitely another one of many movements that simply have to be explored quite often in order to really learn and master.
I've been getting elbow pain and terrible cramps in my hamstrings from tables. Is this to be expected?
i don't remember how many cramps i felt when i've started this element in the past december 2012 after helsinki seminar!
would there be any benefits from performing tables with legs together? i find them way more challenging that way...
Bipocni said:I've been getting elbow pain and terrible cramps in my hamstrings from tables. Is this to be expected?
Yeah I experienced a bit of elbow discomfort as well when I was doing tables. I tried to relieve the strain on the elbows, by actively extending the shoulders (like in in H1 pe2/im). The discomfort passed as I got better at the drill. At the moment I use tables as a warm up for german hang, to help me get mastery of the above H1 im.
Started on FL PE4 today. Table inside out is weird. The focus point says to keep chest elevated, but I'm not sure what it means in this context.
My main difficulty seems to be coordination in placing the hands in a good table alignment after going back and there again. I suppose it'll be one of those thing that you'll get in time.
Yeah the table rocks are quite hard at first, they'll start clicking soon enough though.
Just don't do them after PPP's and Xiapengs as I occasionally do...
Makes for some pretty poor form.
P5yx said:would there be any benefits from performing tables with legs together? i find them way more challenging that way...
bump
also having the legs apart seems like a gymnastics flaw...
. so what do you think?
I do everything with my legs together. I work on actively pressing my knees together, which creates more tension in my legs and builds a bit more strength I think.
If it makes it harder, it's probably a better way to train.
Bipocni said:I do everything with my legs together. I work on actively pressing my knees together, which creates more tension in my legs and builds a bit more strength I think.
If it makes it harder, it's probably a better way to train.
That's what i thought. I'm really wondering why coach didn't let his athletes perform those with legs together.
a full bridge should also performed with legs together as far as i know.
P5yx said:That's what i thought. I'm really wondering why coach didn't let his athletes perform those with legs together.
a full bridge should also performed with legs together as far as i know.
Coaches athletes in the demonstrations videos don't always demonstrate the best form. This is most easily seen in hinge rows where the athlete is seated, or in SLS/PE2 or PE3 where the heels rise off the ground and the bottom of the movement...
Bipocni said:Coaches athletes in the demonstrations videos don't always demonstrate the best form. This is most easily seen in hinge rows where the athlete is seated, or in SLS/PE2 or PE3 where the heels rise off the ground and the bottom of the movement...
good point!
What helped me with table and table rocks was to keep my eyes on the ceiling or even behind me. Have look at how the athelete in the video of iM3 keeps his head/eyes.