Straight bar back lever

Started by jandzel, June 21, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,777 Views

jandzel

I was wondering if a back lever is to be performed with an overhand or underhand grip on a straight bar? I have been using a overhand grip in my progressions but was wondering which way is ideal? Thanks - Justin

Daniel Burnham

Palm and inner elbows facing down during lever.

Jon Douglas
jandzel said:

I was wondering if a back lever is to be performed with an overhand or underhand grip on a straight bar? I have been using a overhand grip in my progressions but was wondering which way is ideal? Thanks - Justin

Underhand is generally better-- jump up in a chinup grip and pull your knees through to pike out to BL like a reverse crank. I guess there is a bit of strain on the wrists this way, so just be a bit aware of that.

Side note, I generally find it much easier on a bar than on rings, other than the trick of getting into it. I wonder if I'm cheating it with my lats.

The Wykydtron
Charm said:

 I generally find it much easier on a bar than on rings

That could be said about pretty much everything  ;)

Jon Douglas
The Wykydtron said:

That could be said about pretty much everything  ;)

Just the hold itself though, doing back pulls is easier on rings than on a bar for me, just for wrist comfort.

 

I guess it could also be something to do with having to control swing on the rings in an awkward position... hmm. Now you've got me thinking.