I often think, "5x5? That is easy!" Then I realise that it doesn't matter how many I can do, it matters how long I actually work.
When I was younger, I climbed a lot of trees. One thing I remember was trying to get down out of some of them. I would have to hold on for dear life, because if I fell, I would break something or worse. This "holding on for dear life" build a lot of strength in my upper body. I was always heavy, but I could lower down with one arm at a time just hanging.
Later in life I learned about torque when I slipped and tore my rotator cuff because my whole body rotated under on straight arm hang and ended up being too much on the shoulder after too long away from climbing. Yeah, sometimes we don't think :roll:
Now I am trying to build myself back up to that power I once had.
I notice that if I try to do as many pushups as I can, I go as fast as I can. I push out about 20. Then, if I want to see how many I can do slower, it takes a similar amount of time, but I can only do about 10. I imagine if I moved even slower, I could do about 5. So, what benefit is there to do the different counts 1-0-1 verses 3-1-3 verses 5-2-5??
For example, PT Tests ask for max pushups in 2 minutes. 100 reps in 2 minutes is an average SEAL score. If I could do 1 pushup for 2 minutes, wouldn't that be the same thing or better??
Anyway, thanks for the comments ![]()