This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

F1 as pain reliever for a flat back?

Started by Ravn, June 21, 2013 · 3 Replies · 147 Views

Ravn

My wife's upper back doesn't arch enough, it has too little of an S shape, and it's been giving her trouble for years. She suffers from nagging constant pain, and she is currently seing a chiropractor, which helps, but it sounds like it's just symptom treatment - A few days after the last visit, the pain creeps back. Due to the more column-like structure of her spine, her knees also take a beating. This is due to the increased forces transferred to them because of a lack of flexing in the spine - She's been told that the 'suspension' system of the back doesn't work properly.

 

I've succesfully rehabbed my left shoulder using kettlebells and BtGB after extensive surgery on it, so I'm a firm believer in the power of exercise as pain treatment and eventually curing of certain ailments and injuries. As a consequence, I think that F1 would do her much good by working her muscles, thereby ridding her of infiltrations, but of course also by taking her through the mobility progressions.

 

Does this seem like a good idea? Her condition is of course entirely different than my own shoulder dislocation injury, and the subsequent stabilising surgery I had performed, so I may be completely off.

 

How about copyright issues - Would it be ok for her to use the program that I bought for myself, and could she use the workout planner?

 

...and in case F1 is an entirely bad idea, does anyone know of other effective strategies?

Keilani Gutierrez

I'm working with that in an opposite sense, I have a rounded upper/middle back. every time I do dislocates after sleeping wrong or not doing much spinal movement, it'll quite literally crack through every vertebrae i pass through my ROM hahahaha

 

as with everything that I was afflicted when I started, as have you, start gradually and seeing how her body responds to the stimulis. 

in some cases a bit of discomfort is good, my back started cramping after I started doing H1 mobility. especially the one's with Undergrip. 

 

if anything, doing Cat Cows, hollow body progressions, the H1 mobility, the deck squats, -everything- has impacted positively my structure. first i started the low volume weeks with 5x/week training and once it started ramping up, i bumped it down to 4days a week. I'd test out how she'd manage with the iM's. 

 

since I don't know the nature of her injury or current structure, i honestly don't know what to say. my back has gotten significantly stronger doing ABH and H1 mobility/PE's and on SL days I'm gonna be doing dumb bell swings for a cool down(for the first 3 months, im gonna use 6 lbs single hand, then 10lbs, then 15, then 20 because i don't want to start out too rough. at one point when I got all that new ABH ROM, I started getting some cramps on my lower back. probably stuff learning how to fire properly but it was very important to be drinking water with salt and just not training with any pain in my body. 

 

Jefferson Curls have been another amazing thing for my back. before, I used  to get the gnarliest "fascia" pulls half way down, now I only get it when im getting to my end ROM. 

 

so there's a lot that can be done safely, you just need to scale it accordingly and have her feel comfortable doing it. any "this is horrible" mentality is only going to make it worse. this was my case with ABH and once I got it to where it looks decent, my mentality changed and progress kept skyrocketing. 

 

-about all i feel comfortable saying on the matter. this is what i've done to work on my posterior chain

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

 

any "this is horrible" mentality is only going to make it worse. this was my case with ABH and once I got it to where it looks decent, my mentality changed and progress kept skyrocketing. 

 

Great post in general, but I think this in particular should be emphasised. There's definitely something to that; doesn't matter if it's necessarily positive or whether it's just the next thing in front of you to do, but if your attitude is negative you'll find some way to limit yourself IME.

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

Great post in general, but I think this in particular should be emphasised. There's definitely something to that; doesn't matter if it's necessarily positive or whether it's just the next thing in front of you to do, but if your attitude is negative you'll find some way to limit yourself IME.

I agree. after reading through "Stretching and Flexibility" there's a segment where he talks about how our emotions embody what....well where our body is. 

 

extremely interesting observation and I agree with it. there's people who think I do -too much- exercise and knowing myself, i could actually be performing better on some things and should scale down on others, which is what im learning to do with my weak links(I bring this to collaboration because my weak link is just about everything and including my posterior chain)

 

just yesterday, I did my warm up with this song: https://soundcloud.com/justmusiclabel/weightless-marconi-union?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=wtshare&utm_medium=Facebook&utm_content=http%3A%2F%2Fsoundcloud.com%2Fjustmusiclabel%2Fweightless-marconi-union

 

and my session was completely distinct to anything i've felt before(mentally and relaxation wise and concentration) and i was feeling pretty stiff before my session. goes to show how much details influence things down the road, the same way immobility does.