Muscle soreness

Started by Bar12, June 20, 2013 · 4 Replies · 2,082 Views

Bar12

Is it ok if I never feel sore, no matter how much, how hard and how often I train? My friends are thinking I am a mutant, as I am always fresh next day after workout and telling me, that it's not normal if muscles aren't sore.

trw

It's fine as long as you're making progress in everything. Good, even.

LateStarter@46

Either you're a lucky mutant and are getting good gains hurrah! :) or you're exercising too fast using momentum to get the reps out :angry:  - so you're breathing hard but the muscles are not having to work as hard as they would be if you did every rep slowly concentrating on feeling the muscle do the work. Maybe have a go doing an extra extra extra! slow version of your workout and see how that feels the next day?

Keilani Gutierrez
LateStarter@46 said:

Either you're a lucky mutant and are getting good gains hurrah! :) or you're exercising too fast using momentum to get the reps out :angry:  - so you're breathing hard but the muscles are not having to work as hard as they would be if you did every rep slowly concentrating on feeling the muscle do the work. Maybe have a go doing an extra extra extra! slow version of your workout and see how that feels the next day?

this destroys me in Mn/PE1 and sPL/PE1 :mellow:

Helander

That's what I would call a "high quality problem" :P

 

Well seriously, I had similiar experiences for the first year of my consistent training career. That is now practically completely gone, I tend to feel sore after every workout, except for when I have a maximal strength day.

 

I get sore whenever I switch things up, which happens almost every week. My theory is that there are two major causes for soreness:

  • When you extend your range of motion with your movements, or explore completely new range of motions (Gymnasts should have this as a pretty high priority)
  • Switching up from maximal strength training to hypertophy or endurance training. For example, you have been doing pull-ups for five reps with added weight for two months. Then you decide to have a pull-up superhero day, and crank out 200 pull-ups in ten minutes. You will most likely be sore for a couple of days.