Back Tuck help needed, VIDEO

Started by CirqueDeLysid, June 19, 2013 · 3 Replies · 1,635 Views

CirqueDeLysid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwKVFM9TsoY

 

Hi, this is a video of 2 attempts at a back tuck from standing.

 

My technique is very sloppy, I believe I jump too far backwards (it's very low and I land quite far from where I jumped) and that my tuck may be pretty weak as well.

 

Could you guys suggest how I can refine my technique, maybe drills/exercises to speed up the rotation or to strengthen my tuck.

 

Thanks very much, I'm new to posting here but I've been reading forum posts for a couple of years silently. If it's ok for me to spam, over the next few days I'd like to post a couple videos of handstand presses and the like to see how my technique can be improved.

 

Thanks very much, love this site!

Yaad Mohammad

I think your setting is too deep, which makes you lose some of your height. Another thing I noticed is that you swing your head backwards, avoid this by searching for a point in front of you and keep looking at it until you are at the top of your height. You should also tuck much tighter, at the moment you're almost not tucking at all. Work on these factors and you should have a good back tuck.

CirqueDeLysid

Thanks Yaad, I'll work on those. Do you know of any exercises I can do to make sure I tuck harder? it feels like I'm tucking as much as I can but watching the video my back is arched for nearly the whole flip

yuri marmerstein

You are tucking too late and too slow.  You dont have that much time in the air for a standing tuck, so you have to be quick and precise. 

Stand up tall when you jump and try to lift your knees over your head as soon as your feet leave the ground.  The faster your knees come up the better. 

You should work on your jumping mechanics as well but you will have to learn how to react faster in the air.