This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tripod more difficult than wall handstand?

Started by Romulo, June 17, 2013 · 4 Replies · 471 Views

Romulo

Hi! My first post in the HS course!

 

Sorry for the silly question, but I can do some sets of 60 seconds wall handstand, but 5X60secs of a simple triplod is quite hard for me. Just to confirm, should I master this PE1 before progressing or it's OK to move ahead and practice other elements that I can do?

 

 I'm in doubt of what to do in the HS training day. I'm doing all the wrist preparation and then go to the PE and corresponding im. If I haven't mastered the basic tripod, then my workout would finish in that element until I master it? Sometimes I just feel it's too little and do something else.

 

Also, I always did a headstand with the crown of the head on the floor and the body in a 90 degree angle. The form in the course shows the forehead as the basis and the body is slightly inclined. I already saw this form in the rings and paralletes and I thought it was to improve the balance but I didn't know you should also do it on the floor, or is that optional? I'm asking because to support on the forehead is much harder for me

KingJR

If you haven't mastered the tripod, then stick to that element until you do. If you can't do the mastery reqs it means you need to condition something in your body to help you improve. So skipping it would just mean you would be lacking something later on.

 

You have the basic HS routine right: wrist prep, followed by HS elements. And yep, it would end there. You don't need to feel exhausted to have worked out. In the beginning, it might feel easy, but it'll get harder...trust me...then you'll be happy you did things the proper way to condition yourself slowly to the added volume.

 

I've just added conditionning workouts where I simply do a wall handstand for as long as possible, for 30 minutes on my off days. We'll see how my body responds to that and if I should keep it or not. Other than that, I don't add anything to my HS training.

 

Baby steps...to GREATNESS!

Romulo

Thank you!

 

As for the head support position, I read in another post it is supposed to be between the forehead and the crown of the head.

 

My doubt about the body angle still remains, since the athlete shown has his body in an inclined position. 

Is it incorrect to stay at a 90 degree angle?

flipson

I agree. I'm a little confused by the video. If I do it like that on the forhead, it feels very difficult and it really tweeks my neck in a way that feels a little dangerous? I should probably just post a video and get feedback but I thought I'd add my thoughts since Romulo mirrored my thoughts. I'm finishing up week 7 and super happy about the workouts!

Alessandro Mainente

you can maintain the head position as it is more comfortable for you. i prefer put my head down in the medial position then in the front. 

as the legs are moved to vertical position the sensation is the weight movement from hands to head. that is the basic idea. try to increase your feeling with the balance.