This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE1 + iM

Started by SoyeBoy, June 16, 2013 · 13 Replies · 546 Views

SoyeBoy

Hi guys,

 

I have just completed Week 11 for this element and I believe I have attained mastery, but I thought I should get opinions from the folks here on it (especially the iM). I'm hoping the video is at a good angle to judge. The bar is set to hip height as per the course material - it does however appear to be set higher than the demonstration video which shows a bar below hip heigth.

 

[YouTube]Tg9xjQ9-Yws[/YouTube]

 

Finally, assuming mastery, how do I incorporate testing of HBP/PE2 into my next cycle? The material says to test for mastery on the first day of the cycle and if I fail to start on week 1. Do I just consider this testing as my first session and proceed from say day 2 of week 1 (or week 5, or week 9) if I fail to keep things in sync? I'm on the 4 day schedule.

KingJR

I usually do my tests on my deload week 12 on the first days, or even on the days off before the deload week. So I can get the longest amount of "rest" possible before the next cycle starts. This way it doesn't interfere with my new cycle on week1. In case I pass mastery on the next progression, I can just test the next one later on in the deload week.

 

Now hopefully I'll be able to finally pass that damn HBP/PE3 this time around! Come on baby, third time's the charm!!

FredInChina

Good effort Soyeboy :) I'll give it a go at providing feedback:

 

On the incline push ups:

- the bar is indeed a bit high, hence the angle of your body & hand position are reducing the load; the angle at which you are pushing is also more leveraged than it should.

- Your tempo is too quick compared to the course video.

- Your back is arched (not sure if it is anterior flexion of the pelvis, or the lower back, or both); I think this improper shape will come back to bite you in future progressions.

 

The German arm swings are looking good to me, albeit a bit fast too.

 

:)

SoyeBoy
FredInChina said:

Good effort Soyeboy :) I'll give it a go at providing feedback:

 

On the incline push ups:

- the bar is indeed a bit high, hence the angle of your body & hand position are reducing the load; the angle at which you are pushing is also more leveraged than it should.

- Your tempo is too quick compared to the course video.

- Your back is arched (not sure if it is anterior flexion of the pelvis, or the lower back, or both); I think this improper shape will come back to bite you in future progressions.

 

The German arm swings are looking good to me, albeit a bit fast too.

 

:)

 

Thanks for the feedback. I will repeat the final microcycle and lower the bar next time. What do you mean by the first part that I've underlined?

In terms of the back arch, I know at least that I have some anterior pelvic tilt (not sure about the lower back though) - should the iMs sort this out, or will I need some supplementary work do you think?

I currently only performing foundation 1 and handstand 1 (and some yoga) in terms of mobility work. I maybe should add a hard stretching session once a week to target my weaknesses flexibility wise?

Keilani Gutierrez
SoyeBoy said:

Thanks for the feedback. I will repeat the final microcycle and lower the bar next time. What do you mean by the first part that I've underlined?

In terms of the back arch, I know at least that I have some anterior pelvic tilt (not sure about the lower back though) - should the iMs sort this out, or will I need some supplementary work do you think?

I currently only performing foundation 1 and handstand 1 (and some yoga) in terms of mobility work. I maybe should add a hard stretching session once a week to target my weaknesses flexibility wise?

I've had to work on PPT a lot since I started F1 and what's helped is just PPt as straight a line as I could manage while doing the PE's and foam rolling where i need it. wanna make it clear though, some elements will work directly with this(FL directly and Mn indirectly) you just gotta fine tune it as you go along :) what's actually helped me get closer and closer to mastery on Mn/PE1 is actually using PPT and as a result my posture has improved.

you wanna know something funny? in my case, my PPT is at such an early level that my abs and glutes will be the most tired part of my body while doing HBP/PE1 AND HBP/PE2 after im done doing sets(since im focusing on PPT)

FredInChina

I meant that the closer your arms to your body angle is to 90 degrees, the easier the movement is; if you compare your sets with the course video, you'll notice the difference ---> a little bit like the difference between regular push ups & Pseudo Planche Push Ups.

This angle is a function of the bar height & your relative feet position.

 

KeilianiG has already answered the APT / PPT part. :)

You'll correct that with a conscious effort while doing your sets.

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

you wanna know something funny? in my case, my PPT is at such an early level that my abs and glutes will be the most tired part of my body while doing HBP/PE1 AND HBP/PE2 after im done doing sets(since im focusing on PPT)

I got this for the first couple weeks of HS PE 11, muscle fatigue/soreness around the bottom of my ribs and waist as I learnt to tilt plus maintain shoulders elevation plus hold ribs properly. Very interesting feeling.

SoyeBoy

Thanks guys! Just shows you that it's worth getting a second opinion as I would have assumed mastery and moved on to PE2 :)

 

I've already put your suggestions into my practise and hopefully it will pay off in the long run. Who would have thougth that mastering an incline push up would be so difficult? ;)

TheLastCareBear
FredInChina said:

 

KeilianiG has already answered the APT / PPT part. :)

 

 

 

 What is PPT and APT? 

 
gohei_
TheLastCareBear said:

 

 What is PPT and APT? 

 

 

Posterior pelvic tilt & anterior pelvic tilt.

Jon Douglas
ewethestuff said:

After all the posts about this issue, I still have no idea if 10r on this iM means 10 each side, or 10 total.

For mobility I generally do each side. Because mobility.

Keegan Y
ewethestuff said:

After all the posts about this issue, I still have no idea if 10r on this iM means 10 each side, or 10 total.

Well, in the demo video the athlete does 10 total reps, so I always assumed that it meant 10 total reps.

Aadil Siddiqi
KeilaniG said:

I've had to work on PPT a lot since I started F1 and what's helped is just PPt as straight a line as I could manage while doing the PE's and foam rolling where i need it. wanna make it clear though, some elements will work directly with this(FL directly and Mn indirectly) you just gotta fine tune it as you go along :) what's actually helped me get closer and closer to mastery on Mn/PE1 is actually using PPT and as a result my posture has improved.

you wanna know something funny? in my case, my PPT is at such an early level that my abs and glutes will be the most tired part of my body while doing HBP/PE1 AND HBP/PE2 after im done doing sets(since im focusing on PPT)

Happens to me too

SoyeBoy

OK guys,

 

I have continued to work on this element and took another video a few days ago:

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaMoJSlzZW8

 

I think that I have eliminated the majority of the arch that I had i the first video - opinions?

I had actually filmed the entire set, but the guy in the Nike runners knocked the camera over  :facepalm: