Cartwheel and Round-off Troubles

Started by aepritchard7, June 14, 2013 · 4 Replies · 3,086 Views

aepritchard7

Whenever I do my cartwheels and round-offs I have persistent problems.  When I do a round-off, after I jump I cant do the round-off part. When I do cartwheels my second leg is always bent so when I get to ground I am not standing and I always finish my cartwheel turning my hips like I a going to do a round-off.

Any suggestions?

Daniel Burnham
aepritchard7 said:

Whenever I do my cartwheels and round-offs I have persistent problems.  When I do a round-off, after I jump I cant do the round-off part. When I do cartwheels my second leg is always bent so when I get to ground I am not standing and I always finish my cartwheel turning my hips like I a going to do a round-off.

Any suggestions?

I would need to see a video to be able to give and cues about how to fix it.  The best way is to see a coach.  They can usually fix a skill this simple in just a few sessions assuming you are physically capable of doing it.

Blairbob

 As Daniel stated, there is too much going on in either a cartwheel or a round-off to just wildly guess.

 

 Poor shoulder flexibility will hinder either. Poor straddle flexibility will really hinder a side cartwheel moreso than a front to back cartwheel.

 

 Poor cartwheels will just make a roundoff junky.

Primate

Master the cartwheel before attempting a roundoff, practicing bad roundoffs will not help you long term.  When I do cartwheels I think about inscribing the largest circle that I possibly can, so stretching out my legs and pointing my toes, really reaching.  This helps to lock my body into the rigidity required.

Sailor Venus

If you ever want to copy somebody's cartwheel, copy women's then men's. Female cartwheels are beautiful, just watch them do it on the balance beam! I don't like men's for some reason - they don't split their legs open like girls do.