This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE2 > IM question

Started by MrPuppeh, June 11, 2013 · 11 Replies · 499 Views

MrPuppeh

My first attempt on the 2nd iM of the HS series.

My first question would be - Is it even possible to do this? My upper back and traps and shoulders get really tight when I reach about 45 degree angle ( That is my max ) And I feel that due to my upper back/trap tightness i cant go further to reach the 90 degree angle.

Will this come over time ?

KingJR

It IS possible. I thought the same thing as you, but now I'm doing it at about the proper level, and getting better each time. Although I've only been able to do it with 5lbs now ( I did move up from 2 1/2lbs though already ).

Micawberian

Like other's said, use a managable weight and start with your hands far apart.

Coach Sommer recommend a while back to pick a weight and stick with it until your arms are finally shoulder width. Then increase the weight by a little and begin again with the wide grip. Repeat the process (indicating that this is a mobility exercise you should always keep in your training).

I can't stress "managable weight" enough. When I started I was working with 8 lbs and it was hell on my chest and biceps. I went down to 3 lbs, and now I'm up to 12 lbs with no issues. Slow and steady wins the race. Be wise to acknowledge that gains in mobility are made in terms of weeks and months, not in terms of days.

Jonathan Cathcart

I was really quite atrocious at this exercise when I started but I've noticed huge improvements. I really feel it working now and my chest has opened up a lot with persistence. Don't lose hope!

Adriano Augusto

Well, now I've strong doubts (more than before) after saw Martin's video.

 

That little fordward bend of the spine (upper back) at the top of the movement, it's ok? Because it's something that I do aswell and I don't know if its ok or not; maybe a little flexion is allowed and I'm overthink it thinking that I've to have straight straight back.

 

Suggestions? I'm struggle on this more than with PE1.

Geoff

I just checked and my chest does not cave in while doing this exercise (but my hands are still quite a ways apart). When I started doing this exercise I really focused on getting and keeping my torso really tight before and during the lift of the arms. If I felt any resistance while lifting the arms it was a signal that my hands were too close.

Coach Sommer
Adriano Flo said:

Well, now I've strong doubts (more than before) after saw Martin's video.

 

That little fordward bend of the spine (upper back) at the top of the movement, it's ok? Because it's something that I do aswell and I don't know if its ok or not; maybe a little flexion is allowed and I'm overthink it thinking that I've to have straight straight back.

 

Suggestions? I'm struggle on this more than with PE1.

No, the forward bend is not acceptable.

Yours in Fitness,

Coaxh Sommer

Samui

Any tips how to increase the mobility for this exercise? I cannot lift the bar to the same horizontal level as the course's gymnast or 3D Guy there. I can however pull it momentarily but cannot hold it. The grip width or weight of the bar doesn't help. 

Alessandro Mainente

increase the distance between the hands maintaining the palms face down. some people do the mistake of  extend the  wrists up with upper forearm muscles to reach the right height. don't do that thing. you are actively pulling the bar up with the shoulders and upper back muscles not with the arms!

as you reach about the shoulders distance with the grip or 10 cm more you can increase the weight of the bar and restart to increase the hands distance. as for example

2 kg bar:

-starting distance 150 cm, go for 120 cm, 100 cm, 80 cm, 60 cm OK

-add weight

3 kg bar

-starting distance 150 cm, go for 120 cm, 100 cm, 80 cm, 60 cm OK

-add weight

AND SO ON

 

how much weight you have to increase is a personal matter.

 

is not something that you can solve in 1 or 2 week. i stayed on one IM movement for 5 months...

FredInChina

Keep at it, it will come... :)

3D Guy

=)

So i have to get a little more active flex...

 

thanks Coach Sommer, i'm going to improve that