This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to Handle Missing a Session

Started by Sven Ravnstag, June 11, 2013 · 4 Replies · 272 Views

Sven Ravnstag

I've found that 6day/week training works well for me, F7 3X and HS 3X.  Occasionally though, due to travel or a particularly long day at school (and very infrequently due to being tired, usually from lack of sleep), I'll miss a session.  Is it better to double up training on these occasional departures from schedule, or simply to rest up that day and pick up as scheduled the next day?  I'm inclined to cram in a double session the next day, but sometimes I find that this makes for a missed session followed by a so-so session (too much in a day) and think it'd be better to just use the odd missed day as extra recovery.  

 

I figure personal preference plays in here, but I'm interested in what will make me the best gymnast.  I appreciate everyone's perspectives on the matter.

KingJR

I just take an extra rest day. Better to be rested than overworked for the rest of the sessions.

Daniel Burnham

Unplanned deloads work just as well as regular deloads.  Just saying.  Sometimes its easier to just reset a little. 

Sven Ravnstag

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen.  I try to be regimented and disciplined when it comes to my schedule, but once in a while a little flexibility is good.  

Joshua Naterman

Don't sweat it, just continue on with The Plan.

 

With my internship and studying, it's not always possible to stick to a regular schedule. I make sure I do all of  F1 twice a week. I am not particularly concerned with when this happens, and I try to do 3x per week but it doesn't always pan out that way. I don't even worry about it, I just make a note of what I didn't do and make a point to get at least some of that done the next day, so that over the course of the week I'm getting everything done.

 

I do tend to get a proper workout on saturday and sunday, but the weekdays are kind of a "whatever fits in" kind of thing. I'm not losing anything, so there's not much for me to be concerned about.