This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Fingertip pushups

Started by Colm, June 11, 2013 · 2 Replies · 254 Views

Colm

Hi guys,

 

I just started the H1 program and love it. I'm particularly interested in the wrist and finger prep work as all that is completely new to me. Already I can feel the benefit from wrist press-ups and the various hand and wrist stretches. My question is specifically about the fingertip pressup. Perhaps it's an optical illusion, but the models in the videos seem to have very even length fingers. The model for SE4 looks like he has all eight fingertips in contact with the mat. I have a very long middle finger, and after that comes my ring finger. My index is shorter again, and then (relative to my middle finger) my little finger is a dwarf. So, if I keep my fingers perfectly straight and aligned together, all the weight is on my middle fingertip. Any tips/advice on how to distribute the weight on at least three fingers per hand when there are finger length disparity issues? I can spread them out like a tripod but this seems like cheating.

 

Thanks in advance,

Colm

Joshua Slocum

Part of this is due to the fact that the mat being used is relatively soft. Also note that the athlete pushes up onto the pads of his fingers, with the fingers slightly extended/bent backwards. This allows several fingers to contact the ground even when not of even lengths. 

KingJR

damn...I was wondering that too...I was lifting myself up mostly on the middle finger! now I can flip the bird like nobody's business though...