This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

is this a good stall bar alternative

Started by tonio145, June 11, 2013 · 4 Replies · 242 Views

tonio145

its not the same as the gymnastics stall bars in the foundation videos.  in those the bar you hang from is a little in front of all the other bars 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7a56OunhVM&feature=youtu.be

 

also the railing I'm hanging from is about 2 inches away from the stair

I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. Maybe I'm over thinking this but I just want to make sure. I would much rather use this then have to build a stall bar. the gym I go to doesn't have one. also feel free to comment on my form

Jon Douglas

I use something a little like this. As long as your shoulders are kept forward below your hands you should be fine. You can also test whether they feel the same under and overgrip-- if there's minimal difference in the effort then you probably aren't cheating em.

Once you get the feeling of holding your shoulders to accommodate this I find that i can do them strictly on a single bar, but its easy to cheat by leaning back unless you are strict on yourself

kalel

u got nice garden. :P

tonio145
Charm said:

I use something a little like this. As long as your shoulders are kept forward below your hands you should be fine. You can also test whether they feel the same under and overgrip-- if there's minimal difference in the effort then you probably aren't cheating em.

Once you get the feeling of holding your shoulders to accommodate this I find that i can do them strictly on a single bar, but its easy to cheat by leaning back unless you are strict on yourself

yeah its hard to know if I'm cheating or not. over grip definitely feels harder. to not cheat at all do you need good pike flexibility? theres also a note on the exercise that says not to touch your shins to the bar and instead touch your toes. I notice that when I do that or go below the bar it feels more compressed.

Jon Douglas

Yeah, this is active pike flexibility, and this is when you start yo develop it in F series :-) There are mobility drills in F1and 2 that will continue to drill this into your head :-)