This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Order of Exercises Importance

Started by CharlieReid, June 10, 2013 · 14 Replies · 571 Views

CharlieReid

Sorry if this has already been covered, but i had a question about order of exercises in F1. I've been following the exercises and integrated mobility as they show up on the template (FL-->SPL-->SL-->MN-->SLS-->HBP-->RC) in that order. My question is: Can i mix up the order? For example, i have been struggling with the Arch Body Holds and haven't been making as much progress. Can i put those first so that i'm most fresh for that exercise? Any thoughts would be great. 

 

 Thanks,

 

 Charlie

Christian

Go for it. Many threads have been made already and people are doing it. Personally I have FL and SL last at the moment.

trw

Yeah, that's totally fine. I put deck squats at the beginning personally because when I do those later in a session my balance tends to be much worse. Also it acts as a great warm-up, even though I warm-up before each session already. Really gets the blood flowing.

 

Arch holds must be the least popular exercise in F1. They kill me. I actually tried scaling back to a different progression recently because my progress with them has been almost negligible. Someone else on the forum posted a possible list for pre-PE1 ABH progressions that Coach himself showed approval of. He was surprised they were so hard for so many people. The progression ideas are things like a bent-leg hold, a straddle hold, etc. Think of the hollow body progressions which have to be completed before a full-lay hold. As soon as I tried a bent-leg arch hold I felt much stronger activation all along my posterior chain and I've been sore for a couple days since. And this is after I've been using the straight body hold for months. It feels like a better use of my time. You might want to try it, see how it feels.

Bissen

I have thought of scaling back on the arch, too. I mean, they almost make me cry :mellow:

SuperBru

The arch isn't as hard as most people make it out to be. It's just that your mindset isn't as strong. I remember a saying by bruce lee "Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." So basically develop a tough mindset and you will quickly notice how much strength you really have! Theres a calisthenic practitioner by the name of "Juice" who did 2400 push ups in less then 30mins. That takes a lot of mental power! By the way I'm not directing this post to anyone on this forum just giving my 2 cents:) As for your question the order of the exercises doesn't really make a difference.  

Jon Douglas

Indeed, its great tob comfortable with working hard. Since they're new muscles, maybe a bit under used etc, your body is just registering unfamiliar feedback as pain and struggle because it has no frame of reference. As your nervous system gets into the act and adjusts, your PLE will drop from overwhelming, provided you're progressive and construction with it rather than just beating yourself down.

Just think of it as re- educating your system as to what working hard means in this context

FredInChina
Super Saiyan said:

 (...)  "Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." (...)  

 

And precisely, how prayer is going to help you with ABH? :wacko:

dritar

Prayer helps pass the time in ABH :).

 

And in most belief systems, people look up when they are supplicating for divine help or understanding, so it's also an encouragement to look up and keep form and not look down and peek at your timer and feeling the metaphorical punch in the gut as you thought the hold was nearly done but you aren't still halfway through :).

Alessandro Mainente

follow the order of the exercises as they are proposed into foundation series. the best approach is not train movements that engage same muscles one after the other.

trw
Super Saiyan said:

The arch isn't as hard as most people make it out to be. It's just that your mindset isn't as strong.

 

Sure, Super Saiyan, what's true for you must be true for everyone. If you don't think it's hard, then everyone who does must be wrong.

 

It bothers me when someone says an exercise isn't actually that bad, you just need to learn to not be afraid of hard work. Sorry, but we know how to work hard. We're doing F1 after all, and it's not as if everything else in there is "easy." I think we're all working hard and we're all enjoying our progress. But if I'm working hard on something and not making any progress on it months later, chances are I'm working beyond my current ability. It so happens that ABH PE1 might be beyond my current ability even though it's the first progression there is. I don't assume that my weakness is everyone's weakness.

 

Hard work is great, but hard work in the right place is greater.

Keilani Gutierrez
trw said:

Sure, Super Saiyan, what's true for you must be true for everyone. If you don't think it's hard, then everyone who does must be wrong.

 

It bothers me when someone says an exercise isn't actually that bad, you just need to learn to not be afraid of hard work. Sorry, but we know how to work hard. We're doing F1 after all, and it's not as if everything else in there is "easy." I think we're all working hard and we're all enjoying our progress. But if I'm working hard on something and not making any progress on it months later, chances are I'm working beyond my current ability. It so happens that ABH PE1 might be beyond my current ability even though it's the first progression there is. I don't assume that my weakness is everyone's weakness.

 

Hard work is great, but hard work in the right place is greater.

I appreciate and value your enthusiasm. instead of losing track of where we were going with the conversation, here is a resource that can help you as it has been indispensable in my journey to attain the Side Lever. I've included a few posts along side a few forum members that have helped a lot in the collective progress of our community. 

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10481-slpe1-arch-body-hold-abh/

 

there are a few gems in there that just cannot be ignored. read through it and if you learn of anything that would benefit all of us, please let us know, as we will all be looking forward to your progress as you have surely rooted for all of ours. :)

FredInChina
Super Saiyan said:

If you had read my post carefully you would have noticed that I clearly stated it was not directed to anyone on this forum. I was just trying to encourage people that's all. It seems my posts on these forums always get some sort of negative feedback. I guess my opinion doesn't mean anything to anyone so i'll stop posting. Goodbye everyone and good luck with your journey.  

LOL...

What you are really saying is that if you always get negative feedback, it is because everyone hates you! I do not think that is the case!

I think that it could be a very good time to follow your own advice, and "carefully re-read your own posts" - maybe you'll find some clues about why you feel the feedback is negative... :)

 

Secondly, you cannot just leave and stop posting before you have lived by your own challenge of a CTI within the two years you've set for yourself... Some of us have bets going on & it would be very bad karma to drop us there! :)

 

 

PS: Everyone loves positive feedback because it allows you to bask in your own legend! Negative feedback is not as pleasant, but is VERY PRECIOUS: it allows you to improve!

Negative feedback shall be received with a thank you!

trw
Super Saiyan said:

If you had read my post carefully you would have noticed that I clearly stated it was not directed to anyone on this forum. I was just trying to encourage people that's all. It seems my posts on these forums always get some sort of negative feedback. I guess my opinion doesn't mean anything to anyone so i'll stop posting. Goodbye everyone and good luck with your journey.  

I'm not tying to get into a diva match here. I didn't mean to drive you off the forum. But I did read your post carefully and despite your disclaimer you essentially say, "It's not the exercise that's the problem, but your weak mindset!" It's hard not to read that as condescending even if it's meant with good intentions. You see? I just dislike absolutes. For some people the ABH is hard. For others it is easy. Let's offer more productive suggestions than "keep doing what isn't working." My own suggestion might not be the solution. That's fine.

 

 

KeilaniG said:

I appreciate and value your enthusiasm. instead of losing track of where we were going with the conversation, here is a resource that can help you as it has been indispensable in my journey to attain the Side Lever. I've included a few posts along side a few forum members that have helped a lot in the collective progress of our community. 

 

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/10481-slpe1-arch-body-hold-abh/

 

there are a few gems in there that just cannot be ignored. read through it and if you learn of anything that would benefit all of us, please let us know, as we will all be looking forward to your progress as you have surely rooted for all of ours. :)

 

You're right, let's stay on track. I've read that thread, it's a great resource. That's where other have mentioned their own pre-PE1 plans. The OP should definitely read through it.

 

Anyway, his original question has been answered many times already so there's really nothing left ot say.

LateStarter@46
FredInChina said:

 

Secondly, you cannot just leave and stop posting before you have lived by your own challenge of a CTI within the two years you've set for yourself... Some of us have bets going on & it would be very bad karma to drop us there! :)

 

 

What does CTI stand for?

FredInChina

Close to Impossible movement. :)

Something like holding the doorknob between your thumb & index, the cat's tail with the other hand, and do a human flag with arms perfectly straight... B)