Flat-Back Attainment in Advanced Front Tuck Lever

Started by Andrew Flach, January 27, 2009 · 2 Replies · 2,694 Views

Andrew Flach

Greetings, all. I hope I am posting this in the proper section.

In coach's article, Building the Olympic Body, the advanced front tuck lever is said to require a "flat" back, but the back of the young man in the photograph appears somewhat curved.

10A-Justin.jpg

Clearly, the lad is strong (far more than I), but I thought perhaps this shot represents a slightly less-than-ideal capture of the static position. It may well simply be a matter of perspective.

All that to say, is a truly flat-back actually possible in this position or is it meant to be something resembling straight, such as that in the photograph?

(I'm aware this may be addressed in the book.)

Andrew

Gregor

This curves what are you looking are muscles-latisimus dorsi. And hips are maybe 5° to high.

Andrew Flach

Thank you, Gregor, very much.

Yes, I can see how the latissimus dorsi could play a role in giving the appearance of slight curvature. And I get the feeling that the high carriage of the hips largely contributes to it, as well, just as you said.

Either way, I realized that, later in the article, under the section on Tuck Front Lever Pullups, since that particular movement is to begin in the Advanced Tuck Front Lever position, a clear shot of the latter is shown. In this photograph, the flat back is clearly displayed:

12C-Darvey.jpg

So, it is clear to me now. Your help was much appreciated, and I look very much forward to your counsel in the future.

Cheers,

Andrew