This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Proper Spine/Pelvis/Chest positioning

Started by Sam Carr, June 9, 2013 · 2 Replies · 235 Views

Sam Carr

Since I've started F1, I also started weightlifting. Common form for a lot of weightlifting exercises is chest out and tight core, which typically means an anterior pelvic tilt to create a tight/stable arch in the back. I know posterior pelvic tilt is very important for a lot of gymnastic exercises, but I think I may have confused myself. Whenever I film my F1 exercises (mainly RC's) my back is arched, like I'm doing barbell rows or something. Same thing for pull ups and I'm noticed a bit with the HB pressing movements and any overhead pressing I do. But in the F1 videos, the athletes have straight torsos and doesn't look like they are using anterior tilt (talking about the RC videos), so then how is it possible to generate retraction and pulling power?

Coach Sommer

Gymnastics strength training is not weightlifting.  Do not confuse the two; use the appropriate positions for each.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

You typically do NOT want to create extra lumbar extension even in weightlifting. I'm not going to get into the details of weightlifting here, but you do need to pay attention to what Coach said: Gymnastics and weight lifting are completely different modes of exercise, and there is very little that will carry over in terms of what you do with your body.

 

 

Every movement is unique, so you need to learn what to do for each movement. We have movements in gymnastics where you need a rigid core, and other movements that require your core to be active yet very supple.

 

Learning each movement individually is the key to success. Each step you master will leave you with a new set of skills for body positioning that you will use in the next step or the step afterwards, which is part of why it is important to start your warm up with several sets of different skills you have already mastered!

 

Don't try to equate a weighted squat to a deck squat or skier, and don't try to equate scapular push ups to hollow back press. Learn each movement individually and:

 

 

Coach Sommer said:

... use the appropriate positions for each.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer