Tape or gloves or what?

Started by jwalker497, June 7, 2013 · 10 Replies · 8,057 Views

jwalker497

Do u guys use any tape or wrist bands or anything when working out on the rings? I need something especially for the muscle up becauze i seem top slip out of mf FG, etc.

Bissen

I have a little magnesium dust ball. Super practical.

As long as my hands aren't sweaty, I manage somewhat.

Bipocni

I put some gorilla tape on my rings, seems to help with false grip work.

TANSTAAFL
Bipocni said:

I put some gorilla tape on my rings, seems to help with false grip work.

As long as you never have to take it off, your golden :).

 

I also use the Ecoball(chalk ball) along with some tape depending on what I'm doing. Sometimes the ball doesn't cut it and I have to use real chalk. Coach has recommended/approved in the past a single piece of athletic tape over the wrist. There's also a link in there to Coach's callus rip remedy...just in case.

spyro7800

I use coach's rings(considered them really slippery and could not hold FG)  and taped them with hockey tape...I consider it best tape.

I still use chalk, but the tape holds it for weeks even if I don't use it.

 

No problem to hold false grip at all. 

Joshua Slocum

Chalk works well, but depending on where your rings are, might be too messy. Wrapping athletic tape around the rings can work well, too. 

Eric Xavier

I use the tennis racket grip wraps on the rings.  The version that is the most 'grippy' and meant to be resistant to humidity and sweat is the best.  Even if your hands sweat, the grip stays strong.

Blairbob

 Athletic tape works really well on the synthetic rings. I used to think it would be verboten to tape rings but I wish I would have done it sooner. I haven't felt the need to tape wood ones unless they are wood rings that are sealed with a varnish.

Luckily, I found these little half spheres of chalk at the hardware store. It makes my hands blue but it's better than the pink. No mess at the gym and they last forever. Cost me a quarter.

jwalker497

I have wooden rings. Should I Tape the rings?  I was thinking of taping my wrists.

Blairbob

 With wood rings, taping your wrists is a good idea. 

 

 If those wood rings are sealed, you might as well tape them if they are slippery. If they are unfinished, your wrists will appreciate being taped so the skin isn't worn till it's raw.

mmm

I've actually found my wooden rings to give me no problem with tears/rips/etc... They've been far more forgiving than other materials. In fact, I almost never use chalk because they naturally absorb moisture.

 

I, personally absolutely would not tape my wooden rings... under any condition. The whole reason I got them was that I like the feel of the wood. Once you've put tape on them they you will probably have to keep it there forever. If you try to remove the tape, the adhesive will generally stay and then you've got a sticky mess. Any attempt to remove the adhesive with an adhesive remover would threaten the laminating glue used to make the rings. You might eventually be able to sand it of, but sanding sticky adhesive is easier said than done.

 

I'd suggest that your wrists will adapt to the wooden rings quickly. You may have to work through some rawness to build up the callous. If you choose to tape, I'd suggest that you put the tape on your wrist and not the rings.

 

That's only my experience, other's may vary. This applies only to raw wooden rings. As noted above, a sealed wood ring (do they make those) would be completely beyond my experience.