This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow orientation during L Sit

Started by Eric Xavier, June 6, 2013 · 5 Replies · 273 Views

Eric Xavier

I was looking at the videos in F2 and had a question.

 

When I work on my L Sit variations, my elbows are pointing inwards (a little diagonal).  In one video the elbows are like this while in another they are pointing straight ahead.

 

Having them point straight ahead during an L Sit is considerably more difficult for me (don't quite know why). Is this how they are supposed to be (kind of like a ring support where they are pointing straight ahead)?

B1214N

Yes.

Eric Xavier

Thanks B1214N, my hunch is confirmed.

Eric Xavier

OK, I have a further question.  

 

My triceps and lats are squeezed together (on top of each other) when the elbow are facing forward.  So much that I cant push my hips forward in the L-Sit (lats and tris are in the way of each other).  So my hips stay behind my shoulders (which I don't like very much).  Are the PB's that I am doing them too narrow?  They are shoulder width.

aiken54

Standard PB width is 17-20 inches I believe. I had this issue when I was trying to get my hand balancing canes as narrow as possible and for me it was just a matter of making them an inch and a half wider (out to 15 inches) and that solved it. If it's not possible to make them wider then try getting into the L sit with your lats ahead of, or even with your triceps so that you can keep your hips forward off the bat rather than trying to move them forward once your lats and triceps are already flexed.

Eric Xavier

The PB are 50 cm which seems like 20 inches.  I tried these on parallelets that were set wider and it felt better.

 

I think I might have to get used to this new way of L Sit.  I think I built up a long time bad habit of doing these with elbows pointing inwards and the new elbow / shoulder orientation is not agreeing with my body until it gets used to it.