Hey guys. I didn't have a barbell in the gym to work the shoulder extension so I made up theis exercise. I think it's kinda nifty. Anyway thought I'd share.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Daniel Burnham, June 6, 2013 · 12 Replies · 215 Views
Hey guys. I didn't have a barbell in the gym to work the shoulder extension so I made up theis exercise. I think it's kinda nifty. Anyway thought I'd share.
Good stuff!
super daniel...our minds are linked by something. i wasn't definitely able to do that until now. in the past months i used a slide from my garden to my garage. the cool thing is that is composed by 3 different parts with 3 different inclination.simply i put a skateboard under my ass and did exactly your exercise!
thank to share it...i was waiting for the next step!!!
![]()
Looks great, I'll have to try that out!
i cannot really tell how many cramps i feel in my triceps. daniel i hate you
alex87 said:i cannot really tell how much cramps i feel in my triceps. daniel i hate you
Ha. The cramps will start to go away soon. You are welcome. The actual manna position is worse though.
do you feel also traps cramps during that movement? i'm actually doing some seconds of relaxed pose between reps with elevation and internal rotation then activating the shoulders muscle with external rotation and depression, at the end of the last rep brutal cramps start on my traps..
Nice drill Daniel, coach showed us this one yesterday at the seminar. He said you should try to maximally retract the scaps on this movement.
Thanks, Has coach been using this all along? Am I un-original
?
Anyway, yes retraction of the scaps should be your primary focus. In the video my hands are actually a little too far back I think and I didnt retract enough in my opinion. Make sure you really focus on that aspect or manna will never come.
This drill and a spotted manna lift were the ones that helped me feel the position the most. Probably pretty common but you can do this by starting in a block supported manna (butt on block legs at at an angle above horizontal) and having someone help you lift into the manna with legs getting more horizontal. They should spot you at the butt if you are weaker or at the legs when you get stronger. This allows you to feel lift while retracting and also get an idea of the balance.
It will probably be over a year before I get close to being back to this (If I ever can) but manna was a big goal of mine. My friends used to make fun of me because my non-acrobatic floor skills were worth so much more than my poor tumbling, but I never competed floor anyway.
Daniel Burnham said:Thanks, Has coach been using this all along? Am I un-original
?
Nope, he credited you with coming up with it ![]()
Yeah he gave you full credit. He also showed walking up the wall as an easier version. I suppose you could start doing it with a weighted plate for a harder version....
xray said:Yeah he gave you full credit. He also showed walking up the wall as an easier version. I suppose you could start doing it with a weighted plate for a harder version....
I don't think this would be as effective as lifts from block. Weights don't accurately give you the feel of the change of center of gravity. You might be able to get away with leg weights around your thighs but a plate wouldn't be the easiest thing to implement.
You can try to lift with one leg on the door/wall and the other in manna position putting an ankle weight on the leg pressed on the face, this partially emulate the weight on the manna lift.