This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

WOD - 090127

Started by Coach Sommer, January 27, 2009 · 13 Replies · 2,109 Views

Coach Sommer

WOD%20-%20090127.jpg

Perform three sets of the following ring strength series:

2 MU, forward roll to MU, XR L-sit, Bulgarian Dip, XR Straddle L, FL, BL.

Then 3x5 360s

Finish with 10 Wall Extensions

notes:

1) Adjust the ring strength series as needed to suit your current strength levels.

2) Rest 3-5 minutes between ring strength sets

3) Rest at least two minutes between 360s sets

Nobodystopsdblob

Perform three sets of the following ring strength series:

2 MU (high pull up, low dip, negative MU), forward roll to MU(no roll, high pull up, low dip, negative MU) , XR L-sit, Bulgarian Dip, XR Straddle L (l sit), FL, BL. All statics for 5 count FL and BL tucked

3 straddle l practice off bench. 5 count

Then 3x5 360s

Tucked broken sets

Finish with 10 Wall Extensions

Thanks for the advice on cutting back this week. Although, due to my schedule at work I think I will try to push it to next week and cut it out. For the remainder of this week I am going to cut out any Olympic lifts though.

Jason Stein

3X:

2 MU, forward roll to MU, XR L-sit, Bulgarian Dip, XR Straddle L, Straddle FL, Tuck BL.

3x5 360s @ L-sit

10 Wall Extensions

—Had to dismount to re-set false grip after the forward roll. Any tips on this one? Feels like hands need to stay close to chest. If I drop, it feels like a straight-bar muscle-up, which seems inefficient and is difficult.

Ricky Dawson

Sorry for re-posting but think this may be the better place to put it...

'my question is regarding attaining multipe MU's. At the moment i can perform the non-kipping first part of the move and then lower back to a dead hang with false grip, upon pulling for the next rep i feel i do not have the strength for the pull let alone the transition.

Should i concentrate on false grip pulls to increase my strength in this specific area? or simply carry on trying to get the second one...? i think i'm maintaining the false grip enough through the descent so this may not be the problem.

any advice greatly received,

thansk, Ricky, London'

Razz

For me i just did a lot of singles with the extra negative part and then suddenly i felt how to maintain the false grip going down and now its easy to make several repetitions.

George Launchbury

Hi Ricky,

At a very basic level you have the strength to perform the movement, but not the endurance to rep it out. I've put two possible approaches below - however if you treat it as one movement, rather than three parts, a lot of approaches used for adding numbers to pullups would be worth looking at.

1) If you can do multiple singles with 2-3 minutes rest between, simply reduce the rest period over time. Then, once you can do doubles, do the same again with reducing the rest time ...then triples, etc.

2) If you can't do multiple singles, then work negative MUs, using a step, or better jumping, to get to the top each time. Do these as slowly as possible. Go careful, and make sure you recover. Do less than you think you should the first few sessions, just to be on the safe side.

Any help?

George.

Ricky Dawson

Thanks George,

I'm hit and miss on the multiple singles at the moment, but i like this approach....

My rings are in my door way so no need for step or to jump, i just do a half dip and i'm in the support position. I think i'll perform a MU followed by 2-3 pull ups as i think this is where my endurance is lacking.. OR just work on the pull ups from fresh for best results??

my Dip numbers are ok (about 5 DEEP dips, i dont see any need to activly increase this at the mo.. )

I was just in limbo as should i do my one MU and then do some pulls or just work on the pull ups?

I think this could be the possible downside of learning the MU through the use of bands, it always helped on the pull but obviously not on the dip.. maybe just a few weeks working on my pulls in a false grip will have me on the road to multiple MU's.

cheers Ricky.

Garrett Smith

What is the recommended transition from the XR straddle L-sit to the front lever? Another forward roll? Back down through the negative MU?

Jason Stein

George,

Number one seems like a great plan; perhaps one strict MU per minute for 10 minutes? We'll see tomorrow.

I am losing the MU in the transition from the bottom of the dip down to pull-up.

Trying to lower into a false-grip shredded my wrists and forearms ('shredded' as in 'rubbed raw').

Maybe bands would be useful to work the neg?

Or will gradually increasing volume of strict MUs build the endurance?

I don't feel it's a muscular issue so much as a technical one, i.e. how to lower and reset the grip without skinning my forearms and wrists.

thanks,

j

George Launchbury
jasonmstein said:
Or will gradually increasing volume of strict MUs build the endurance?

If you think about it, the only difference between 10 consecutive MU and 10 singles is the rest between reps. Rather than increasing volume I would gradually decrease the rest. For example:

Stage 1

Working 10 singles, start off with a rest of 2 minutes. Each session reduce the rest by 5-10 seconds. When you fail to make all 10 singles on two consecutive sessions, take a week off with light work. Repeat this cycle until you can do with, say, 30 seconds rest - then move to Stage 2.

Stage 2

The same as Stage 1, but this time do 5 doubles...

Stage 3

You guessed it - like Stage 2, but 3 triples ...etc

Can't really help with the technical issues, I'm afraid.

George.

Jason Stein

Thanks George,

I'll give it a shot tomorrow to see how it feels.

So instead of upping volume, increase intensity/difficulty.

From a technical standpoint, do guys LOWER in a false-grip --- or lower in a pull-up grip to the bottom and THEN re-set the false grip?

j

matthew.percussion

Lower into the false grip.

Edward Smith

I have been using what I would call release-tension sets for some heavy weighted pull ups. I can perform 3 reps with the weight I'm using currently but I'm wiped out by the third, I could probably do 3x3 with it but I would quickly over train. So one of the methods I have been using is performing a pull up (strict, concentric and eccentric) then letting go of the bar for about 3-5 seconds then performing another pull up. Other methods I am using include:

-concentric only, simply perform only the concentric portion (good for prevention/reduction of DOMS)

-half pull ups, bottom and top, good for really focusing on when to tense what and pull from where

These can of course be applied to other exercises. To practice your transition technique set your rings so you can just touch the ground with your feet in the bottom position of a dip. Now squat down below the rings, holding onto them in a false grip. Go through the movement of a muscle-up using your legs to do the actual work but keep tension on the rings. Your leg drive should not be explosive it should be slow, you are training the technique here not strength!

Raw wrists? Muscle-ups can be abrasive for your wrists but this should pass, your skin will become slightly tougher and as your strength improves you will be going slower, it could be technique but generally there is naturally some rubbing of the wrists that is just the nature of the movement.

On the negative portion of the muscle-up the hands should naturally return to a false grip, in the transition you are pivoting around your wrists and shoulders (primarily) your hands aren't rotating around the rings. I'll try and get a video demonstrating what I mean.

Ed

Coach Sommer

Raw wrists are easily avoided by simply wrapping them in a single layer of athletic tape.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer