This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Leaning to a side during Pullups + Form check

Started by Robmob, June 4, 2013 · 19 Replies · 380 Views

Robmob

In the AZ seminar of last september coach called this out on me. Honestly since then I had forgotten and after filming myself I realized that I am still doing this. Here is a video to show how it is. 

 

 

How can I fix this? Is it important to fix? 

 

And, considering that this was a 6th set and I was quite tired, was the Form anywhere near correct (smooth and not jerky)

 

Thanks

Ravn

Looks like your right side is stronger than you left, or you may have a mobility issue.

Try typewriter pullups, they really expose imbalances and weak points. Use a wide grip, pull up to the left hand, traverse horisontally to the right hand and descend. Repeat in reverse order. After a few sets, you should be able to tell if your strong side has compensated for your weak side.

Robmob

Ok when I get home Ill record myself doing them.

Robmob

So, Im back. I did a couple of them and on my 2nd set my right side started to hurt a lot,especially my shoulder. Here is a quick video of me doing them so you can asses the strength of each side. It seems to me as if there was no difference between both sides.

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCVM0As5MfA&feature=youtu.be

 

And this may seem stupid, but why does my back get red?

Ravn

Ok, The video doesn't load, but pain is bad. You need to gain some insight about what is wrong with that right shoulder, and if I were you, I'd probably lay off workouts until I had sorted out what was wrong. Doesn't sound good. What exactly are the symptoms? Not that I can diagnose you, but someone else around here might, or it can prepare you for a consultation with the doctor.

Robmob

You should check again, I just tried on another computer. The pain was something quick, that went away quickly too. I suppose it was overstraining the shoulder as I had a very wide grip. I was like my bicep vein was on fire and the shoulder too. Not a big deal really. 

 

Why workouts are fine, remember this is like the 4th time I did this exercise, I normally do behind the neck wide pullups, which is the reason I posted in the first place. 

 

I have not seen any imbalances, and if you look in the video, I hold it a bit longer on my left just to prove that they are about the same. They are very simetric now and I dont have a huge difference in size anymore (Used to be half a inch, is now a 1/10 of an inch).

 

Thanks

Ravn

Hmm, I'm no expert, but I think you need to scale back to an easier pullup variation you can do painlessly with perfect form. Build volume from there, and keep filming to check for form. Then you you can progress back to the harder variations. It's pretty bad news for long term progress if that shoulder kink becomes second nature to you.

Robmob

Ok ill make videos of the earlier variations, till i find one i do without the sway, and do that till i finish the 12 week cycle im on now

Keilani Gutierrez

I know I'm not at this PE level yet...I was watching some of Josh's videos on shoulder pain and noticed something about the way we get into the top portion of a pullup that could cause compensation on one or both shoulders.

 

would it be possible for you to shoot a video from the side? 

Robmob

Sure, tomorrow, you just want the PE14 right?

Keilani Gutierrez

if you could a regular pullup and then behind the neck pull up, one set of 5 each would suffice :)

Keilani Gutierrez

hmmm...don't take my word for it as im working on my technical eye, but I can see that you're rolling your shoulder forward somewhat.

i'd say work on activating your retraction and then re-shoot the video. this has made a difference with my pullup form (knocked it down from 14 reps of protracted form to 5-6 with proper activation)

Robmob

Excuse me, but how would i do that?

Keilani Gutierrez

well you have progressed all RC progressions upto now, have you not? it does work greatly on retraction heavy moves with rows before getting to pullups.

FritsMB
Robmob said:

In the AZ seminar of last september coach called this out on me. Honestly since then I had forgotten and after filming myself I realized that I am still doing this. Here is a video to show how it is. 

 

 

How can I fix this? Is it important to fix? 

 

And, considering that this was a 6th set and I was quite tired, was the Form anywhere near correct (smooth and not jerky)

 

Thanks

 

If you stop the first video at 0.02 (2 seconds; at half way up into your first pull up), then you can see that the top of your right scapula is extended way higher than your left scapula (the top of your right shoulder is above your right ear and about 2 to 3 inches higher than your left shoulder. Also, your right lat is not nearly as activated as you left lat. In (my) layman’s terms “it looks weirdâ€, and definitely not the way it should be. That is all I can tell you. Get one of the moderators to say something about the musculature that you are not using and what to do about it (i.e. send them a private message). 

In your “typewriter† pull ups you always use your left arm for the pull up. I can suggest that you try again with two towels for your hands. Try to do the pull up first with your left arm while trying to keep your right arm as straight as possible while pulling down on your right hand (your pull up bar is too narrow for this, so use the beam in the background of your video). Then do the same, while pulling up with your right arm and keeping your left arm as straight as possible while pulling down on your left hand. If you can do that on both sides (with about the same effort) than you are balanced (and pretty strong pull up wise). Don’t kill yourself trying to do it because you can hurt yourself; it is half way to a one arm pull up. Judging by your videos you are not there yet (strength wise) but it may help you to feel the difference between your left and right side while trying to go, say, a quarter of the way up.

Robmob
FritsMB said:

 

If you stop the first video at 0.02 (2 seconds; at half way up into your first pull up), then you can see that the top of your right scapula is extended way higher than your left scapula (the top of your right shoulder is above your right ear and about 2 to 3 inches higher than your left shoulder. Also, your right lat is not nearly as activated as you left lat. In (my) layman’s terms “it looks weirdâ€, and definitely not the way it should be. That is all I can tell you. Get one of the moderators to say something about the musculature that you are not using and what to do about it (i.e. send them a private message). 

In your “typewriter† pull ups you always use your left arm for the pull up. I can suggest that you try again with two towels for your hands. Try to do the pull up first with your left arm while trying to keep your right arm as straight as possible while pulling down on your right hand (your pull up bar is too narrow for this, so use the beam in the background of your video). Then do the same, while pulling up with your right arm and keeping your left arm as straight as possible while pulling down on your left hand. If you can do that on both sides (with about the same effort) than you are balanced (and pretty strong pull up wise). Don’t kill yourself trying to do it because you can hurt yourself; it is half way to a one arm pull up. Judging by your videos you are not there yet (strength wise) but it may help you to feel the difference between your left and right side while trying to go, say, a quarter of the way up.

 

Cool thanks for the info. I dont train the typewriters,just someone wanted to see me doing them. But thanks however, Ill go back a couple of exercises with some spotting to make sure I have proper activation etc. Thanks a ton

Robmob

Today I did Bulgarian rows, Chin Holds and some normal pullups. Needles to say the pullups couldnt be completed in the 5*5 fashion. So ill try to do the Chin holds and the Pullups until I get both done perfectly. I want to get the 60s again on the Chin Holds, and then Ill see if i can do the Bulgarian Pullups with perfect form etc. 

 

It kinda reminds me of weight training, you can probably lift a lot with good form, but with perfect form your ego dies.

Keilani Gutierrez
Robmob said:

Today I did Bulgarian rows, Chin Holds and some normal pullups. Needles to say the pullups couldnt be completed in the 5*5 fashion. So ill try to do the Chin holds and the Pullups until I get both done perfectly. I want to get the 60s again on the Chin Holds, and then Ill see if i can do the Bulgarian Pullups with perfect form etc. 

 

It kinda reminds me of weight training, you can probably lift a lot with good form, but with perfect form your ego dies.

couldn't agree more. i was working pullups with a 5x5 scheme and when i started hitting up the hinge rows, it totally put me in my place. i can still milk a lot out of these row related elements. today, my arms are pretty sore and my RC session was on monday <_<

Robmob

Coach liked my post, I have never feeled so proud :). 

Literally made my day