This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Washington DC

Started by LiveWyld, June 3, 2013 · 22 Replies · 3,003 Views

LiveWyld

Anyone else in or near DC who wants to meet up for a workout session?

ChrisUK

Yeah I go to college in the DC area. I will be back there mid-August if you are still interested in having a workout partner!

LiveWyld

Definitely! I'm currently studying at Georgetown. I could get you into the gym there for $5 or we could go somewhere else. I just moved here so I don't know the area that well.

Keilani Gutierrez

oh man, i had been to georgetown on a trip when I was in 11th grade. amazing cool campus :)

LiveWyld

Keilani if you ever feel like taking a trip up here you're welcome to crash at my place for a weekend. We can have an informal meetup and I can host whoever wants to fly in. Hit me up via PM.

Animus

I know that there's a lot of us in the DC area who train a great deal of bodyweight stuff. Steve Low, in particular, is up in MD. Jim Bathurst of BeastSkills fame lives and works in DC as well. And there's a huge bodyweight culture tangential to the vibrant parkour scene here (as well as the circus arts scene), though I don't know if they frequent these forums much if any.

LiveWyld

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize they were around here - I've read Steven's book and Jim's website. They are both good resources. I saw that Jim has a gym in the area; I might check it out.

 

I'm looking more for an informal group that meets maybe once a week to practice skills together yet mainly everyone practices on their own. It'd be nice to have a group of people to exchange knowledge about particular skills or areas in which they have expertise not unlike this forum (only in person). Know any groups of the sort?

Animus

I'm going to go with my original answer to the question. I'm friends with both and a lot of us in this area will do something like post on Facebook, "Hey, hanging my rings at X on Saturday, 10AM. Anyone wanna join?" I imagine that's the kind of thing you're referring to? We started to do a regular acrobalance get-together that Jim came out to all the time before he got too busy. Jim is, first and foremost, just your regular commercial personal trainer (he works at Balance Gym and, to my knowledge, has not opened his own location ... most of his clients are not trying to do crazy bodyweight stuff or anything cool/fun by our standards..); handbalancing is recreational for him more than anything else. For most of us.. we train on our own, but we like to get together every so often to share knowledge, show how we've progressed, and goof off.. connected by our mutual passion for a fitness modality that's a little left-of-center.

LiveWyld

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm referring to. So how can I join up with you guys the next time you meet? My mistake; you're right JIm does work at Balance Gym.

Animus

Well, we're SUPER informal... so... lol... I'm seeing if anyone wants to do anything this weekend though. https://www.facebook.com/animustraining/posts/10100648471784867 I'm closer to the parkour community, so that's more likely what we'll end up doing, but I suggested somewhere that we can hang rings too to play with some stuff.

 

Basically, start by adding a handful of us to FB.. come out whenever there's an opportunity to.. meet new people. Add them to FB. You slowly get a wide enough pool to train on an ad-hoc basis as frequently or infrequently as you'd like.

Alex Chubb

I'm in the DC (namely MD) area as well.

David Creekmore

Takoma Park, MD.  I'm looking at the Gymkana adult classes next fall.  Anyone participate in those?

IcedDante

Is there a URL for thr gymkana classes

ChrisUK

With how many of us there are in DC, it's starting to look like a monthly meetup could be a cool idea?

Chris Garay

I live in Annandale and coach in Alexandria, Springfield, and Falls Church. A GymnasticBodies meet-up would be fun!

McKaylaMaroneyHopeful

So I just moved to the area, and I am wondering if there are any Open Gyms in the area I could start training?   

Party_van_Buren

Did this ever happen? I just joined today and would be interested in a semi regular meetup.

ChrisUK

I was going to ask if you guys wanted me to make a group, but I just went ahead and made a Closed Facebook one. 

 

Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/541496585984355/

 

This way we can sort out a date a couple of weeks ahead of time and then meet once a month for anyone interested, and we can scout out good areas for rings. 

 

We gotta take action, or it'll never happen...also this way we now have a reason to get a really cool group photo for the cover photo ;)

 

Hope we can get a meet-up going soon,

 

Chris.

Chris Garay
Hey fellas, I'm going to be coaching a Gymnastics Strength Training class at District CrossFit on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday evenings starting November 17th! We will be drawing heavily upon the GymnasticBodies methodology, including progressions leading up to handstands, pistols, muscle-ups, rope climbs, etc. with tons of mobility thrown in as well.

 

Feel free to check out the first few classes for free as well. They will be held on Mondays at 7:30 pm, Wednesdays at 7:30 pm, and Fridays at 6:30 pm. PM if you have any questions, and I hope to see some of you there! Thanks.

 


Greg Gagnon

Anyone still out here? I live down by Quantico, but could occasionally make my way up North.

Christopher Garay

Hey Greg!

Check out Physicality GST, my GymnasticBodies affiliate in SW DC. Our regular schedule is Mon/Wed 5:30 pm and Tue/Thu 6:30 pm. Looking forward to training with you!

Best,

Chris

Eva Pelegrin

Great to meet you Chris and looking forward to the next gathering!

Julia Quigley

@Christopher Garay, we'll have to hook up sometime! I'm right by you. 

And if you havent yet tried flying trapeze in SE DC, I'll be glad to show you the ropes (and get you a discount on your first class!).