This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

J Lin's workout log

Started by Jonathan Lin, January 26, 2009 · 27 Replies · 2,381 Views

Jonathan Lin

090310

GB WOD: 3 sets ring strength series, rest 3-5 minutes between sets; 3x5 tick tocks, rest 2 minutes between sets; finish 2x10 Wall Extensions

-I can't do a XR HS, much less an XR HSPU, so my ring series looked like this:

MU --> 2 Bulgarian dips--> 1 MU transition --> 2 Bulgarian L-sit pullups --> inverted pike to 5s adv tuck BL to german hang --> 5s adv tuck FL

-I couldn't really pull off a MU transition after the first MU and the dips..the best I could muster was a slow transition down from support into a false grip and pressing back up halfway. Also, I videotaped myself on the last set of tick tocks and it looks like my BL are always too high - maybe 10 degrees off? I can get someone to watch my angle in gymnastics class on thursday

There's also a strong chance I wasn't pulling up very far on the bulgarian pullups, either.. :oops: But the WOD wanted strenuous, and so there ya go :mrgreen: I could feel my grip getting looser and looser for each tick top rep, so much so that I had to rest a bit on the last rep of the third set. My hands were burning :shock:

Oh and I finally conquered my sweaty false grip problem! Solution? Wrapping my wrists with a bit of athletic tape. I also wore weight training gloves, but I think it's the tape that did the trick. It did bunch up, but it worked well enough for my purposes. :P

Jonathan Lin

090311

GB WOD: 3 giant sets each of: embedded BL + 4 tuck FL pulls; embedded PL + 5 chest roll HesPU; embedded FL + 4 windshield wipers

finish 10 bridge wall walks

- For my embedded BL i did inv pike --> adv tuck BL hold 10s for the first set and then german hang--> BL hold 10s --> inv hang for the last two sets. This felt really good.

-That feeling quickly evaporated as I started the giant sets for embedded PL. My goal was to hold tuck planche for 5s at least. My arms were still tired from the BL giant sets, and I couldn't hold a tuck planche with my hips at shoulder height. I also couldn't figure out how to do a chest roll up to a HeS, much less a HesPU, without squashing...you know, without going :shock: in the process. Thus the PL giant sets turned into experimental sets.

For the "second giant set" I tried doing a tuck planche with my fingers turned backwards and fell on my face (good thing i had a pillow there :lol: ) so then I tried doing a frog stand with my fingers pointing backwards. Same result. I then attempted (failed) at a couple negative chest roll-->HeS. My conclusion is that I am very lacking in the bent-arm strength department. I cannot for the life of me do a chest roll and press up/come down into a proper arched front support :( So I did three negative HSPU to make myself feel a little bit better :roll:

For the third set I tried frog stand on my finger tips and found that a lot easier to balance than with my fingers turned backwards. Still couldn't do the chest roll--> HeS. Obviously.

-For embedded FL, I did tuck FL row, lower to adv tuck hold 10s. Then windshield wipers x 4. I found my legs giving out and started getting bent knees around the last two reps for windshield wipers. I am doing them on a straight bar, with an undergrip, and I think I am leaning backwards a bit. Anyone have any idea if a bit of a lean is acceptable for this exercise?

-I am going to do the bridge walkovers later tonight, because I have 30min until gymnastics class and I want to eat some lunch beforehand :mrgreen:

Jonathan Lin

I slacked off during spring break and mostly just ate a lot of seafood and home-cooked meals which I don't get at school. Anyways, I did the 090316 and 090317 GB WODs and skipped that thursday and friday.

-i used too much weight on the jumping deck squats for that monday WOD..I stuffed my backpack with two bags of rice +26lbs in weights. Ended up not really jumping :|

-for that tuesday workout, I did a total of...i think 9 minutes in wall handstands, but admittedly with excessive rest periods. Took me about an hour.

I also skipped the WODs this monday and tuesday, though I might make it up later this week. Instead, on Sunday the 22nd and this Monday I tried this challenge from Bodyweight Culture:

39YH5DU7oZE

-On Sunday I finished the entire workout (doing the level 1 variation), but with rests, so it took about 12 minutes.

-On Monday I cut the number of pushups to 5 finished in a little over 5 minutes. After this workout I also did 8 wall extensions, 8 shoulder dislocates, 3x6 'leg raises' (while standing, the first set is knee to chest, second is knee to armpit, last is the same as the second set except with the leg straightened), 3x10 hip extensions, and hopping more or less (probably less) 200 meters on each foot,

I also decided that I would start a dedicated stretching program in order to gain front splits by the summer :evil:

As of now I can just barely touch the ground with my fingertips if i keep my torso straight. I think. I plan on doing isometric stretching 3 times a week, with 2 days of relaxed stretching in between each isometric day. The stretches I'll do are:

-cat stretch

-the lower back and seated leg stretches (might do them standing, too) described here: http://www.cmcrossroads.com/bradapp/doc ... html#SEC74

-knee lunge

-front splits

-seated straddle

-frog straddle

-side splits

I plan to hold most positions for 30s. Splits I plan to hold for 60s, and on iso days i plan to hold the splits for 90s.