This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE1 - Tuck Up (Compression/Momentum Question)

Started by Jerry Mangona, May 31, 2013 · 6 Replies · 358 Views

Jerry Mangona

Ok....I came to the realization that I'm not really doing the MN1 progression correctly because I was:

 

- Using momentum to complete the rep

- Not keeping my back flat between reps

- Bringing my back up first, then tucking in legs (rather than doing both simultaneously).

- Not really "compressing" the core, rather just doing sit-up and then using hip flexors to bring in legs.

 

So I went back to Week 1 (3 x 3) and realized that I can't even do 1 rep without momentum. Advice? Is there an easier progression? I even tried doing it with arms forward, and I still can't do without momentum.

 

The best I can do is put a stool between two dip bars, sit down, and then bring my knees to chest using only compression while leaning forward on the dip bars to support myself. Thoughts?

Keilani Gutierrez
Jerry Mangona said:

Ok....I came to the realization that I'm not really doing the MN1 progression correctly because I was:

 

- Using momentum to complete the rep

- Not keeping my back flat between reps

- Bringing my back up first, then tucking in legs (rather than doing both simultaneously).

- Not really "compressing" the core, rather just doing sit-up and then using hip flexors to bring in legs.

 

So I went back to Week 1 (3 x 3) and realized that I can't even do 1 rep without momentum. Advice? Is there an easier progression? I even tried doing it with arms forward, and I still can't do without momentum.

 

The best I can do is put a stool between two dip bars, sit down, and then bring my knees to chest using only compression while leaning forward on the dip bars to support myself. Thoughts?

a video would help ^_^ there was some variants of needing momentum when i learned how to sync the arm movement to the curl movement, that will vary with people though since we all have different weaknesses. at first, i was bringing my arms too low and sometimes too high, when they were too low, i'd fall forward and when they were too high, my legs would skyrocket and send me going backwards like a turtle having a bad day. 

 

if you post a video though, we can be of more service

Daniel Burnham

Using momentum is ok at first to learn the movement but as soon as you are able you should slow the motion down. All other aspects should be perfect in form as you do this so you are not just flailing.

You cannot achieve mastery using momentum so be very careful to eliminate it as soon as you are able.

Combining this with another slow accessory exercise would be most beneficial. In this case you could work compression and both halves of the body seperately on the same days as performing the tuck ups.

Also as previously mentioned you should post a video so we can see if it is an issue with your form.

Jerry Mangona
Daniel Burnham said:

Using momentum is ok at first to learn the movement but as soon as you are able you should slow the motion down. All other aspects should be perfect in form as you do this so you are not just flailing.

You cannot achieve mastery using momentum so be very careful to eliminate it as soon as you are able.

Combining this with another slow accessory exercise would be most beneficial. In this case you could work compression and both halves of the body seperately on the same days as performing the tuck ups.

Also as previously mentioned you should post a video so we can see if it is an issue with your form.

 

Thanks. Sorry for the wait...haven't had time to make the video til now. Please advise as to what would be a good, slow accessory exercise. The first video is me just doing tuck ups without focus on form or momentum. The second is me "trying" to compress and do it in a controlled motion while keeping back flat between reps. Not too successfully I might add!

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf7mz7aGCZs

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c87KaMKYLs

Daniel Burnham

The only issue I see is that you initiate the movement of your upper body way before you bring your tuck in. Not terrible in the beginning. I'm reasonable confident this will iron itself out as you get stronger with it. Final compression is fine.

Jerry Mangona

Good to hear. So I will keep repeating weeks 1-4 until I can do 3 x 3 with no momentum and good form. Part of the reason I initiate with my upper body way early is because my lower body is too weak. Should I do an accessory exercise?

Daniel Burnham

You can. It's not part of the program but if you have access to those arm supported leg lift towers at the gym you can do the tuck lifts on there. I would do the tuck ups first and then do maybe 3-7 of the lifts after for just a couple of sets. It should not be very strenuous.