This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Intro from a tall, lanky guy

Started by KineWoner, May 30, 2013 · 4 Replies · 354 Views

KineWoner

Hello All!

 

So I’m 6 weeks into F1 and H1 and figure it’s high time I introduce myself and make your acquaintances.  I’m prone to prattle on so I’ll try to make this concise on where I’m at, why I’m here and where I want to go :)

 

I’m a pretty tall guy at 6’5.5†and have I’d say a couple years of relatively consistent proportion-based “bodybuilding†under my belt (and I mean bodybuilding in the literal sense of effecting a change in ones physique rather than trying to become a roided out absurdity).  As seems typical for people coming in from a “weight training†background, I got kitten-level strength and the mobility of an arthritic zombie by GST standards going into this.

 

So what brings me here? Few things.

 

On the pragmatic front, I’m a full-time grad student in a highly competitive program with a 6 year old son and a daughter due in August so my time is at a premium and I realistically don’t see myself being able to make or be able to put in my hours at the gym when you factor in the commute and all that. So in that regard, working out at home just makes more sense and I already have a chunk of equipment kicking around that I've collected over the years.

 

More importantly however, even though my previous focus was on physique based goals over strength (I was quite literally pant-splittingly obese less than a decade ago), I’ve always really admired and respected the strength, skill, and beauty of gymnastics and bodyweight movements.  Way more so than seeing someone do equally impressive stuff with weights (and I’ve been fortunate enough to know one of Canada’s best lifters who competes at 181 and pulls well over 700). So while I’m not new to exercising - before settling on the physique oriented community I did, - I tried just about every diet and exercise regime under the sun – this style of training is a completely different animal than what I’m used to. I’m finding it interesting because it requires a completely different mindset. I’ve found the following two quotes extremely helpful in making the transition so I hope they may help someone else too:

 

“ Some quit due to slow progress. Never grasping the fact that slow progress… is progressâ€

 

“Nine out of ten of the dudes I’ve trained all seem to ask the wrong question: how long until I can move to the next step? Avoid this attitude. Try to be that one, rare trainee who asks the right question: how much longer can I keep working on the step I’m already doing, and keep gaining something from it?†<- In that regard, I think ABH may be the best exercise ever invented :D

 

Unfortunately given my comically low level of strength and mobility, I won’t have very much to contribute to these forums except for a lot of questions and perhaps can chime in with some “unorthodox†thoughts on tracking/measuring body comp changes on the rare occasion they pop up on this forum. Regardless, I'm glad to make this journey with this fine community.

 

All the best!

 

 

 

FredInChina

Hey, welcome to the forum KineWoner :)

I'd love to hear about your unorthodox thoughts on tracking/measuring body comp changes

KineWoner

Hey thanks, Fred!

 

I could and can write a lot on the subject at length, but I’ll just start with one thing for now. I should reiterate that I'm very grateful to have found this place and that everything I write is meant to help. I spent years spinning my wheels and just don't want others to go through the same learning process so that  they can concentrate and focus on the stuff that really matters to their goals. :)

 

IMHO, for people actively trying to gain muscle/lose body fat, most people would be well served to never step on a scale. Ever. Worse still is trying to assess muscle gain/fat loss with a bathroom scale. It’s just too vague with the feedback it gives for me to comfortably try to assess any progress with.

 

 If you were to give me your height, shoulder circumference as measured at the widest part, and your waist measurement at the navel, I’ll know you’re overall muscularity, how close you are to your genetic potential, and overall body fat levels by the ratio between the two far surer than simply saying “I’m X height at Y weight as measured by Z method (DEXA aside).  Tracking just those two measurements and keeping an eye on the ratio you get (for aesthetic purposes you want to be trending towards a 1.6 ratio) will be more productive than relying on the bathroom scale. Of course, for a better picture, you want to track all your measurements (neck, arms, legs, chest, etc, etc) but the waist and shoulders are the main one.

 

I don’t mean to ruffle feathers, but from my experience, most people carry a lot more bodyfat than they realize, have less muscle than they realize, and can naturally build a lot less muscle than they think. Sounds depressing and defeatist at first, but the upshot is that it doesn’t take much extra muscle to look radically bigger if you put it in the right places (which this GST style of training naturally favours). If anything, if people want to look bigger, they should be focusing on leaning down rather than  “building upâ€.

 

People would be well served to divorce the idea of how "big" someone is by how much they weigh. All of the really jacked guys I know and have seen go  through transformation contests (myself included),  most people think they are 20-40 pounds heavier than they actually are.

 

Long story short, strictly from a body comp perspective, measurements matter more than your relationship with gravity :D

 

I’ll leave that there for now, hah.

 

All the best!

Keilani Gutierrez

pleased to meet ya, man :)

^^^ that's Fred. Fred's hilarious and a great guy, great vibes.

congratulations on your daughter! about 5 yrs difference is what I have with my brother and that guy is my best friend.

Coach runs an incredibly diverse family along with others who are simply extraordinary.

welcome ^_^

Jon Douglas
KineWoner said:

Unfortunately given my comically low level of strength and mobility, I won’t have very much to contribute to these forums

 

You might be surprised. We all have a comically low level of str/mob next to Coach's competitive athletes... have you seen those videos? :o

 

Welcome aboard :) look forward to hearing about your progress.