An Interesting Exercise - Combination of OAP/C and OAD

Started by B1214N, May 30, 2013 · 6 Replies · 2,835 Views

B1214N

I came upon this new exercise on youtube earlier. You grab on a high bar with one arm and a low bar on the other arm and do an assisted OAC or OAP with the top arm and an assisted one arm dip with the other arm. It might be a useful exercise for someone trying to build up to a OAC/P or a OAD or for someone who wants to train the pulling and pushing muscles at the same time. It's most likely not useful for GST, but still interesting.

 

dritar

Might be interesting. The only problem I see is that neither the dip nor the pullup is full-rom.

 

I don't know if the position is good to develop a full arm dip, but for more advanced people it might be a good assistance exercise for the one arm chin up by releasing the dipping hand to complete the chin up, basically the dip provides a bit of assistance at the bottom).

Samui

I stumbled upon this last week, and it definitely looks interesting. With rings you can set the distance of rings just right which leads to greater ROM and harder difficulty than there in the video.

B1214N

It should be possible to get full ROM if the height of the bars are set accordingly. The guy also talks about the contra-lateral muscle activation which makes the muscles work harder on both sides.

Joshua Slocum

We did a rope climb very similar to this at the seminar. 

B1214N

The rope climb version will have the added benefit of greater grip strength, but I would imagine that it would be uncomfortable for the OAD portion.

 

I've thought of two advanced variations of this type of exercise - combination of OA planche push-up and OA back lever curl/pull-up and the other one is combination of OAHSPU and OA inverted curl.

Cannister

That's like a much easier version of the "uneven ring pullups" that these guys do at ~5:50:

 

http://vimeo.com/24776832

 

These guys borrow plenty of Gymnastic Strength Training™ elements to train for climbing.  A lot of it looks like it might have been sourced from BtGB and this website.