Home made parallets - how to build the support?

Started by Felipe, January 26, 2009 · 14 Replies · 9,655 Views

Felipe

I built a pair of pvc parallets, but they had bad stability and failed in joint integrity.

Now I bought these awesome pair of wooden bars (120 cm long, 26€ together)

Foto_18.jpg

But I don't have ideas on how to make a solid support. Have you any unexpensive solid idea?

George Launchbury

Depends how high you want them. For lower paralettes...

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=415

...or I have another wooden pair at home that I could photograph for you later, if you wanted higher paralettes.

George.

Felipe

your parallets are very good, but yes I want a higher support - for full rom HSPU.

IvanPS

I made myself these from American Gymnast but just a bit higher.

66large.jpg

The dimensions of the ones on the picture are: 1.5" (3.8 cm) diameter solid maple bar, 24" (60 cm) long, 7" (18 cm) high, each base is 11" (28 cm) wide

Here are the ones I made.

paralettesth2.th.jpg

Otherwise try making the ones like in

Mark Weaver

What size and schedule of PVC did you use?

George Launchbury

Here is the photo of my larger parallettes. Much the same as the ones IvanPS built. They are absolutely rock solid, with four very long screws holding the base onto the uprights.

George.

big_parallettes.jpg

Longshanks

Good post, think I'll try and make these at some point in the future.

Felipe

Ah, I didnt post what my solution was! Here it is:

Foto_del_65453461-12-2455541_alle_18_10.jpg

Foto_del_65367068-12-2455541_alle_18_09.jpg

Bought for 16 € or so, cut at store, hole at home.

I didnt put any glue or nail. Mildly dangerous but effective for saving space :D

Tarun Suri

Hah, we can see the giant smile on your face :mrgreen:

Cole Dano

I believe you will want to find a way to keep the rails from spinning. In my first round on building mine i also let them sit free, but quickly found this was a problem and secured them with lag bolts.

Aaron Griffin
RandomHavoc said:
Hah, we can see the giant smile on your face :mrgreen:

First thing I noticed too :mrgreen:

Felipe

I've a fantastic smile, I'm so sorry I didnt cut the pic better :D

dnj23

I've been using just a pair of dumbells as parallets. No issues of rolling either.

cricks11

This is probably not what you're looking for, but this video I made may be good for others wanting to know how to make these things.

img

I made mine from steel pipe, with elbows and T-connectors. There is such a pipe/connector range in just about any country, and they are very modular. Mine are 18" long, 14" tall.

Needs just allen keys. Check out www.interclamp.com for an example of the type of modular system I am talking about.