This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder stability for manna progressions

Started by D.Nash, May 29, 2013 · 11 Replies · 605 Views

D.Nash

Hello,

I am a twenty-five year old male who was recently motivated to start Gymnastic Strength Training™ due to a perceived strenth imbalance in my shoulders.  This manifests as clicking or popping as the shoulder rotates in the joint.  It is particularly noticable in motions that rely heavily on rotation, but occurs lightly even in single-plane motions, such as a standard pushup.  I don't have a history of dedicated athleticism, although I do stay active from the average person's perspective.  I haven't done any serious lifting or strength training in the past, although I am a recreational rock-climber.  

With that background in place, I have noticed that this problem is particularly bad with MN/PE1>iM (the Stiff Leg Windmill) from Foundation I.  While I am able to complete the motion without pain, the sounds that are coming from my shoulder are disconcerting, to say the least.  I am worried that in seeking to strengthen my shoulder, I will injure it instead.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

 

Joshua Slocum

Clicking and popping are normal, especially when first beginning to explore new ranges of motion. The clicking and popping should gradually taper off as you continue the exercise. 

 

 

Things to watch out for are pain and snapping sounds. If you experience those, it's a sign you could be injured, or are injuring yourself, and you need to back off the range of motion until it stops. 

Bipocni

I get an epic crack in both my shoulders on my first rep of RC/PE1.

 

Just once, on the first set, every time...

Jon Douglas
Bipocni said:

I get an epic crack in both my shoulders on my first rep of RC/PE1.

 

Just once, on the first set, every time...

It seems to have gone away now, but I got one on the second set of weighted dislocates for a couple months. RIGHT in the middle of my back, felt like my spine was letting go a deep and significant spot of pressure/immobility.

Only ever the second set, not sure why not the beginning.

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

It seems to have gone away now, but I got one on the second set of weighted dislocates for a couple months. RIGHT in the middle of my back, felt like my spine was letting go a deep and significant spot of pressure/immobility.

Only ever the second set, not sure why not the beginning.

same here with especially the undergrip dislocates (still do them on occasion)

Jon Douglas
KeilaniG said:

same here with especially the undergrip dislocates (still do them on occasion)

I do quite a bit of dislocate work, it's just gone away now that my traps are moving better, but that initial loosening up felt dramatic ^_^

Keilani Gutierrez
Charm said:

I do quite a bit of dislocate work, it's just gone away now that my traps are moving better, but that initial loosening up felt dramatic ^_^

sometimes it sounded like i was being run over by a car.

 

edit: or walked on by a masseuse  B)

Richard Hamilton

What Joshua said reflects exactly what's happened to me with MN/PE1>iM.

 

I started with a 12kg kettlebell and both shoulders were making lots of popping and cracking noises. As time went on it got better and I only get it on my left a little now. I transitioned to using a 5kg dumbell a few weeks ago as I didn't think I was getting maximal IR with the kettlebell and am finding this way more challenging but I think by the time I've nailed it my shoulders will have a lot more stability... just need to get that darn mobility first!

 

I also found that my left shoulder didn't feel all that stable doing HBP>PE1 and it felt like some tendons were rubbing in my elbow. Once I mastered the element I noticed I could do a few reps without the elbow rubbing sensation and have rebuilt up to mastery without it. I still get the odd rep that's not ideal so I'll stick with it a bit longer till I feel it's solid. 

 

My shoulders were a bit of a state when I started F1 but I've done nothing but make progress since it's release. If you take it easy and focus on quality of movement your shoulders will likely come on leaps and bounds :)

Coach Sommer

Great comments that demonstrate a thorough understanding of the need for patience and a meticulous attention to detail.

Well done, guys.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alhumbraer

Is there a minimum amount of weight we should be holding during Stiff Leg Windmill for mastery ? 

 

Also has anyone done this exercise with a Kettlebell upside down grip- the instability of the bell is great for turning on all the stabilizer muscles around the GH joint and I was thinking that would be the best way to do the exercise. Feedback ?

Keilani Gutierrez
Alhumbraer said:

Is there a minimum amount of weight we should be holding during Stiff Leg Windmill for mastery ? 

 

Also has anyone done this exercise with a Kettlebell upside down grip- the instability of the bell is great for turning on all the stabilizer muscles around the GH joint and I was thinking that would be the best way to do the exercise. Feedback ?

I bumped it up from 10lbs to 20lb and it was too much for my left shoulder, so i toned it down a bit. after i rolled my pecs, i got less shoulder noise from my left shoulder so after mastery, I'd follow Josh's recommendation of bringing up the weight gradually and over a span of time(like 4-6 months, if memory serves correctly) to make the transition streamlined and less noticeable. 

 

totally needed to apply that to my case, i'm gonna need to keep focusing on my shoulder rehab and once Mn/PE1 is mastered, continue to reinforce more weight on the 10lbs that i am currently using. YMMV

Bipocni

I work with 5kg, but I could go much higher if I didn't have to rotate my bloody arms!

 

I tried with 10kg for a bit, and I had trouble balancing the weight, so I'd recommend finding something just heavy enough for you to need to pay attention to good form, but not so heavy you're going to hurt yourself if you lose control of the weight.