Hi All,
Wondered if anyone has thoughts on the Prone Glute (and Iliopsoas) Stretch?

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/GluteusMaximus/ProneGlute.html
Cheers,
George.
Started by George Launchbury, January 26, 2009 · 7 Replies · 3,656 Views
Hi All,
Wondered if anyone has thoughts on the Prone Glute (and Iliopsoas) Stretch?

http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/GluteusMaximus/ProneGlute.html
Cheers,
George.
Personally I think there are better variation for stretching glutes. This stretch have to rely on flexibility in hip flexor and put more strain on the knees. I prefer seated glute stretch with either straight leg or bent for increasing the stretch.
George,
This is a variation that I use fairly often with my older athletes.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Hi Coach,
I imagine this is because the younger athletes don't yet have the lateral stability in the knee to make it safe?
Thanks,
George.
No, I was not clear. While we occasionally use Kai's variation, i primarily use the version that you mentioned.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Sorry - I think it was I who confused the issue! :oops:
Your response was perfectly clear in the first instance - I was mainly wondering why you specified you used it with your older athletes, and the implication that it might not be suitable for the younger athletes.
George.
No, not at all. As we all know, younger athletes often have problems remaining focused on the task at hand
. As a consequence, this position is not one that is generally included in their streamlined flexibility program.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
Ah. Yes. That I understand only too well! ![]()