This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/SE3 Partial Wall Handstand

Started by Johnny, May 29, 2013 · 3 Replies · 159 Views

Johnny

I am on HS/SE3 Partial Wall Handstand. I'm getting several seconds in the handstand position while controling the postion with the hands and wrists as instructed. If my balance goes over too far towards my back side I can recover fairly well using my fingers to push into the floor. I am having more trouble recovering my balance when my balance goes towards my front side as there are no fingers to push on only the heel of the palm.

 

What should I be focused on in the hand or shoulder area to recover from tilting to the front side of the body? Do I use the wrist in some way? Or the shoulders?

 

And any tips for the back side would be helpful too in addition to using the fingers.

 

I'm trying to keep the weight focused one inch from my wrists on the bottom of the palm while in the handstand. Should the palm be as flat as possible or is there space under the palm?

 

I'm also keeping a flat back, ribs down and PPT during the hanstand as instructed.

 

More information and technical aspects of balancing in the handstand position using the hands and wrists as instructed is what I need.

 

Thanks!

Gavin S

Yuri posted an excellent vid on an exercise where you get into a wall handstand (stomach to wall) and then, using hand control only (palm and fingers) you bring yourself off the wall and then back on to it. This will teach finer control of the handstand through the hands only.

 

 

Joshua Naterman

After you watch the videos, spend a few months practicing. The only way to really get in touch with your body is to use it. It is always nice to get some cues from someone like Yuri, but once you've got them you need to train with them for at least a few weeks worth of training days. It takes quite a bit of training time to go from "I heard Yuri say to balance with my hands like so and so" to actually instinctively doing these things correctly.

 

You will learn to feel smaller shifts in balance, and you will learn to use your shoulders as well as the hands to make very small adjustments. If you're falling towards the heel of the hand (underbalancing, I believe) chances are good that your shoulders are losing the open angle. Only training time and the active flexibility and endurance you develop from said training will change that.

Johnny

Great advice guys - I will do it and post progress. Thank you!